Thursday, August 6, 2026

How Does Your Garden Grow?


Prolifically.

Unfortunately my tomatoes are tiny and barely red. We picked them because if we leave them they split and get blossom end rot.  This is not a banner year at the Merry House for tomatoes. 

It is the banner year for cucumbers. I just can't do any more pickles (as much as we love them). I am now begging people to take cucumbers. 

I am still dicing and freezing the yellow squash.  I will need the freezer space in October for a 1/4 beef steer with my name on it. We have a lot of squash to eat before then. 

Peppers. We don't even really like peppers. I am not sure why we plant so many peppers! I do slice them into strips and freeze small bags to put under the broiler with brats or burgers. I am also begging people to come get a pepper. 

I am grateful I do have fresh produce with all the issues this summer. I am not trusting the grocery store or wholesalers inspections; the USDA seems to have given up with so many employee cuts. I really don't even trust the Amish farm stands. I am not sure what is true about these parasites and other issues. I guess we will just keep eating cucumber salads and cooking all the others. 

16 comments:

  1. It's good to have your own veggies. I also don't trust a lot of what we buy. I'm having quite a few tomatoes this year which is nice because last year we didn't have many.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gone to the Farmer's Market to purchase any fresh veggies and lettuce or our Co-op which does get fresh veggies from local farms.
    I have been eating a lot of zucchini from my one neighbor along with her tiny tomatoes too. I hope this outbreak of the Cyclospora parasite is soon rectified. I considered getting a big salad meal last night from one of the food joints as I drove home. I decided that peanut butter and jelly was safer.

    Enjoy your fresh food! At least with your garden you know who has handled it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your harvest looks wonderful Miss Merry, love love those peppers! I was at the store Monday, debating the heads of lettuce. In the end I chickened out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The joke is the zucchini being given away usually by end of summer...your cukes and peppers will be a relief for some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neighbor Bill keeps me supplied with zucchini, cucumbers and peppers. I did buy spinach and romaine. I sautéed the spinach, what I looked up said that will kill the contagion. I looked up the risk of romaine, it is on the lower side.I was told the toss a couple of the outer leafs. It has not made us sick. A risk but I was in lettuce withdrawal! My garden consists of pots and four large water troughs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am still waiting on my first ripe tomato. My cucumbers and squash are struggling back from a hungry deer. I think when it happens, it will happen all at once.

    We love peppers here, any way they are fixed. Still waiting on them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was today years old when I learned cucumbers, one of the few things my sensitive stomach tolerates, can be pickled. Looking at a recipe now, but will have to leave out the onions, substitute shallots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No veggies in my garden. I go to a local organic farm each week to pick up my vegetables. No worries about a parasite from them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miss Merry, you don't like bell peppers? We really like stuffed peppers and recently came across a stuffed pepper casserole recipe. It has big chunks of red and green peppers in it... really good. But good luck with all your veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It doesn't get any better than growing and eating your own veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one year that I wish I planted lettuce!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! I am so completely impressed! You definitely have a green thumb compared to my brown one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Getting 22 people together in one place really is an achievement in itself. After all that planning and rearranging, I’m so glad it worked out. This is one of those photos that will only become more precious as the years go by. Liuba x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhh I supposed to write to yesterday's post. New here and pressing all the buttons...I grow my own veggies too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm impressed with all your veggies! And a little jealous! I'm with you on not trusting much of the available produce right now. Unfortunately, the garden was a dud this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments. Sometimes it takes me a hot minute to authorize comments due to grandchildren commitments. I apologize but I can't let those scammers get the upper hand!