Monday, August 3, 2026

More Pickles

With all the posts about our 49 3/4 Anniversary Trip, I don't want you to think I forgot about my freezer pickles project. One morning I woke up to this on my kitchen counter.

Farmer Merry had been in the garden early.  I posted the photo on Facebook and said "The peppers are trying to edge out the cucumbers."  

That evening he returned with this. I posted "The cucumbers saw what I posted about the peppers and said, Hold My Beer".  

Luckily my youngest granddaughter was here to help. 
We sliced and diced and sprinkled with salt to put in the refrigerator for 90 minutes. I rinsed them, made the pickle syrup and they sat in the refrigerator covered overnight. 

And now I have another 11 pints in the freezer bringing our total to 34 pints. I usually don't get so many pints in a batch. I think I am out of containers and I promised myself I would not buy more. 

Thanks for all the nice comments on the trip. My next bucket list item is a family photo session and then we are going out to a fancy schmancy dinner on the actual date.  I am hoping to talk him into wearing the tux I bought him for our anniversary photos but I think the chance is slim to none. 


18 comments:

  1. Those pints look delicious! Boy you had a real bounty, you sure have been busy 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my - I think you are probably pickled out! Glad your granddaughter helped.
    We are also planning a family photo! It's not easy to get that many people together, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A tux would be lovely, but you know men! My mother made cucumber kimchee, a Korean pickle dish, before she got sick and died. It was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess they will remain frozen since they're in tupperware and not canned...duh. I bet you'll enjoy them Loved the veggies talking dirty to each other (well, not really). tux could be worn by you, in parts perhaps...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss Merry, what do you do with that many pickles? Do you give them away to family and friends?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice looking produce and you can never have too many pickles:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only made pickles once, never in the freezer. Interesting. I made some hot honey carrots, where you make the brim and pour it over carrots, seal it and put it in the fridge. They got soft and tasted really good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You might be able to convince him to wear a tux if you let him go with the current trend of wearing tennis shoes with formal wear these days. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love pickles made that way and used to always have an ice cream bucket full in the refrigerator back when the kids were home and I had a garden. I never had to freeze them, they were eaten by the bowl full! Yummy.
    Good luck with the tux. I don't think I could get my Hubby into one again.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice! I used to make frig pickles for us quite a bit.
    A tux? Hmmm. I know my hubby would never consider dressing up quite like that. Although I do have a photo somewhere from the 1970's when he was wearing a hideous suit of orange and black plaid.
    It hurt my eyes to look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW, you have so many beautiful vegetables, at our store they always sell worse, unfortunately I don’t have a garden, I live in an apartment, you have golden hands, you make winter preserves :)) I see you have help... how nice!
    Lovely evening greetings from my Slovenia, Andreja!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, your pickles look delicious…what a great farmer and great pickler you two are!…what a team!!!
    It’s will be so nice to have those pickles anytime you like! Enjoy all your veggies and that dear granddaughter helper! Have a lovely day, Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm' reading backwards and catching up -- saving the anniversary posts for tomorrow. But those pickles look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Miss Merry, your pickles look scrumptious!!! You are amazing! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those pickles look fantastic. I never knew you could make them that way and freeze them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm jealous of all your pickles and peppers! The groundhogs ate most of my garden, so we didn't get very much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG!!! I am thoroughly impressed. It's fabulous that you have such a wonderfully helpful granddaughter. I'm so jealous of all your pickles. They look totally scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments. Sometimes it takes me a hot minute to authorize comments due to grandchildren commitments. I apologize but I can't let those scammers get the upper hand!

Miss Merry