Thursday, August 13, 2026

Rose O'Sharon

I've shared this story before. My sister in-law Peggy had Rose O'Sharons planted around her house.  She was splitting them and gave me three baby plants. 

When she was 33 years old she got up, got dressed and went to her eight year-old son's soccer game. She was standing with my brother and her 5 year-old daughter when she suffered a massive heart incident and dropped to the ground.


Despite numerous doctors in the crowd, nothing could be done. She was dead as she fell.  

This was over 31 years ago and it seems like yesterday to me.  And my Rose O'Sharons are a memory of her. 
For most of the summer my gardener (Mr Merry) has been at war with Japanese Beetles. 
The Japanese Beetles can devour every blossom on a bush in a few hours.  

Mr Merry is winning the war! 

11 comments:

  1. The story about your sister-in-law was heartbreaking Miss Merry, but the flowers are lovely and what a special way to preserve Peggy's memory. I'm very glad Mr. Merry is winning the war! 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have Rose of Sharon's in the same colors! They are so beautiful. So sad about your SIL but I love that you remember her when you see these beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know they went after Rose of Sharon. Although, I always wanted one of those bushes. I'm so glad you have those flowers to remind you of your SIL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so awful about your young sister-in-law, Miss Merry. We used to have a lot of Rose O' Sharons around our house growing up. Since my real name is Sharon, my mom called them mine when I was young. Glad your hubby is fighting the beetles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a heartbreaking story. How lovely you have the beautiful plants, I think she continues to bless you and her family …and the Mr is the perfect caretaker. Keep your happy memories close.
    Best, Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are beautiful and a wonderful reminder of your sister in law. It is such a shock when they die so suddenly. Very hard for all involved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sad to hear that story about your sister-in-law. I had a couple rose of Sharron and one I made into a tree with a rounded top. Looked like a big bouquet when in bloom with purple, pink flowers. I had to cut it down even though it hurt to do so. The sprouts came up everywhere and too hard to keep pulled out of my other flowers. Mom had hers planted in middle of yard so no problem as she cut the grass around them and kept the sprouts down. Yours are beautiful! I sprayed my flowers this year with neem oil and another spray I forget the name of at the moment. The beetles were not bad this year for me but I hear other places they were horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a Heartbreaking Story, yet her Rose of Sharons live on and I'm so glad Mr. Merry is winning the Japanese Beetle War.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a sad story. I am happy you have those plants to remind you of her. Such a shock.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sad story! A friend's husband just had a massive heartattack. He did not die, but it is shocking to me that things like this are happening to contemporaries!!! It used to be stuff like that happened to OLD people.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments. Sometimes it takes me a hot minute to authorize comments due to grandchildren commitments. I apologize but I can't let those scammers get the upper hand!

Miss Merry