There is a young woman in a small village next to us. She is an attractive blonde with three adorable young children and a very handsome, ruggled husband who is a full-time welder and a volunteer firefighter. She is a leader in the "Embers", the volunteer fire department's women's group who help with the annual breakfast fundraiser, the booth at the village festival and all the other activities.
She is very sweet and nice and popular and everything I just said about her and her life is important.
It is important because that is how to help you afford healthcare in this country.
Megan has cancer. And the fire department is rallying to make sure she can afford treatments. Last Sunday the fire department sponsored a Chicken BBQ. Every business and family in the village volunteered to help.Firemen barbequed the chicken and roasted the corn. There were cups of cole slaw and homemade baked beans. A local candy maker donated chocolate covered pretzels as a dessert. There were over 100 raffle baskets donated for drawings. There was a second raffle for more expensive tickets that included a freezer and a 1/4 beef donated by a local beef producer. We were smart to get there early because they sold out of the 400 dinners in 45 minutes. And because it was the week after the village festival, they still had some boxes of hamburgers in the freezer and were able to start frying burgers for those who missed out on chicken.I have not heard the total amount raised, but it will be substantial.
Megan's family is lucky that they have life long ties to the village, that they are well known and, to be honest, they are an attractive and sympathetic family in photos. Because that is the formula to raise money for health emergencies.
I'm so glad for Megan and her Family receiving such a strong showing of local Support to help her thru this Health Emergency and I pray she has a complete recovery, being so Young and having such a Young Family. The fact it's important to have such a formula to be helped and have people rally on your behalf is the sadder part of this Story tho', isn't it? We can be glad for the fortunate who have massive outpourings of Support, it's just tragic that so many would never receive it or be noticed in their utmost time of Need. Most of us will go thru Emergencies and Crisis very much on our own to Deal with it. And Fund Raising is an Art Form that some are great at, and I wouldn't have a clue how to do effectively, you have to cultivate those Contacts and know all the Right People too. It's why Politics is also so skewed, if you don't have a huge War Chest, the Grass Roots running for Office will be at a definite disadvantage to Win, even if they're the best Candidates.
ReplyDeleteThis. You are so right Dawn. It is good for her that she is young and pretty and has lots of friends to support them. But I wonder about the families who don't have a lot of friends and family in the area. Who don't have ties to organizations that do fundraising. Healthcare expenses should not depend on who you know and how much money they have.
DeleteI have a friend going through cancer treatments who is having to deal with grants and filling out lots of paperwork to get her chemo treatment.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that the community has stepped in to support Megan and her family. My brothers were both volunteer firefighters for years and I know that they help out in all kinds of needs and activities that people have no idea about. I'll pray that her cancer will be cured through the. treatments.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Betsy
Dear Miss Merry, the chicken meal looks delicious! It is so wonderful that people take time to help others. I will keep this family in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteOur area has fund raising dinners and silent auctions to help those who are going through a health crisis. It is good to hear that the turn out was good for Megan's fundraising dinner!
ReplyDeleteWell, this is wonderful how this community came together for this young woman, and it is a real shame that in a country as rich as ours, needing to raise so much money, connections or no connections. My heart goes out for her. Good pictures too, Miss Merry.
ReplyDeleteDear Miss Merry, the chicken meal looks delicious!
ReplyDeleteHelping each other is the right thing to do.
ReplyDeleteOur gym which is owned by a firefighter often has workouts that involve a free-will donation for a needy family or some sort of food drive or donations to a family in need in our town.
Oh my gosh, this post brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful community you live in that they did all this for the young woman and so many people and businesses came together to help.
ReplyDeleteMy family is one full of firefighters, we have volunteered /donated for countless events like this over 37 + years…fundraising is hard…but money should not be a concern of any family in a health crisis, at any age. Aren’t we all just so fortunate to live in a community like yours that supports its members when needed, that’s what first responders do EVERY day. Prayers for this family and for cancer patients everywhere. Thank you for sharing and have a great weekend. Virginia
ReplyDeleteWhat a grand outpouring of support.
ReplyDeleteOh my. Twenty two years ago I was treated for cancer. I had corporate level insurance and it still cost me my house and all of my savings to pay for treatment. I would not have survived if it had not been for the support of my community. I can't imagine how anyone pays for it these days. It infuriates me when I'm accused of being irresponsible for not preparing better for retirement. But being furious about it does nothing. I hope and pray for the best for the woman in your community.
ReplyDeleteWow -- you have a terrific community. And yes, that is the formula for support -- being the kind of person or family that people are eager to support. It sounds like quite the event. I hope they (and you) share the total. I'm sure it was impressive.
ReplyDeleteIt is sad, but that is the state of Healthcare in our country.
ReplyDelete