Sunday, October 4, 2026

Witchy Women

It was the third year for my town's Witches Wander event, but our first time attending. It was so much fun!  We were among the first 200 registered which qualified us for a "swag bag".  I bet around 250 total attended.

Our bags were filled with gift cards and coupon cards, a decorative purse scarf, a gift box with perfume and nail polish, a skull shot glass which could be used for a free shot of alcohol at a participating bar (we did not take advantage of this), a recyclable dishcloth, candy and a pen shaped like a witch's broom.  My daughter won a $10 gift card on her scratch off. I was a "loser" but won a $20 gift card to a salon on a chance to spin the wheel. 

We set off on the scavenger hunt. We visited all kinds of tiny boutiques that we have driven by but never stopped in to see what they offer.  All were decorated and offered snacks, many had photo booth walls. 




We stopped in for a refreshing Apple Cider Mimosa and a Drunk Witch Sangria.
Every participating business had a letter hidden in the store to help solve our word scramble. This business offers environmentally friendly projects and you can refill the containers too. 


The places serving adult beverages had their own word scramble. Purchase was not required (thank goodness). We would not have been able to complete either puzzle if we imbibed at every opportunity. 


A line at a carryout window for another bar. 
We stopped here because the previous place was having problems with their Stumbling Witch slushie machine. We tried the Boo Levandar and the Witching Hour Cosmopolitan, despite the price. They were so strong we dumped them in the bushes, lol. 


Another shop. 
There were street musicians. These are very talented high school boys. The witches were very supportive and they had lots of donations in their case. 


Characters

Hanging out with a few friends. 


There were two photographers offering photos at sidewalk setups.  Here is one of them. The other hasn't posted the photos yet. 

I have lived in this town all my life and I was in places I have never been before! 

Below is a fun one. A dive bar that was hosting a letter but had no themed specials. The group sitting here had designed a drink they called Enchanted and the bartender was game. They told me it was very weak but he would make it stronger. I said, thank you - I would love it very weak! 


The Enchanted drink is on the right, an Octoberfest beer on the left.  We solved our word scrambles "Enchantment" and  "Bats". I think I know where they got the name for the drink they designed, lol. 


We turned in the sheets for a raffle (we did not win) and headed over for the group photo. 


We texted my daughter in laws to see if anyone would like to join us for something to eat. My daughter in-law Amber joined us.



I went all out with Bloody Mary's Last Meal with 4 quarters of a grilled cheese sandwich, pickles, cheese, tomatoes, olives and summer sausage. (and 99% tomato juice). It was fabulous.

My partner in crime chose the Spellarilla Spooky Margarita and crab cakes. 


And my daughter in-law got an Apple Cider Mimosa since she wasn't there for the first round. 

We didn't enter the costume contest - I will share pictures of the winners if they post them. There were some pretty outstanding costumes. We visited so many clothing boutiques, I bought one sweater but can't wait to go back. It turns out there is a second hand clothing store that I never knew moved in.  

The stores had invited other small businesses and crafters to sit in at their stores so there were bakers and jewelry makers and face painters and more. Everyone was having so much fun and laughing. 

I did get my steps in! (I strive for 2 miles).



I dont' even remember where this was, lol. 

I introduced my daughter to my cancer thrift store. I will be going back with my 20% off coupon. I didn't want to carry anything delicate or too large.  I did photograph price tags (as usual) so that I could see.  She is off school on Friday so I will check the date on the coupon to see if we can wait that long. 


If God wants me to have this set of 4 sandwich plates with matching tea cups, they will still be there on Friday - along with some beautiful lamps. 

We can't wait to join them all again next year! 

22 comments:

  1. Miss Merry... I think I'm going to resign from blogging, I will never post anything this good! You and your daughter looked wicked and saucy and beautiful, I am so impressed! I'm also impressed that so many of you went to all this fuss with your witches wardrobes along with these businesses, just amazing! What an awesome tradition, loved this! ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿง™‍♀️๐Ÿง™

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. Do you remember when Kodak had those amateur photography contests back in the 70s? I keep looking at that row of witches sitting at the bar, my gosh it's so awesome it would've won! Ok I talk too much but I had to come back and look at these again. I nominate this as Post of the Year. ๐Ÿ˜Š

      Delete
    2. Aww thanks. That bar is an even funnier story. I have NEVER been inside in my life and really wondered if we could spot the mystery letter without actually crossing the threshold. We saw the ladies at the bar and took the leap. While my daughter waited for our drinks, I found a table. One of the regulars staggered up from the back and asked me if he knew me because he had seen all my movies. I told him I only made one movie where I guest starred as Travis Kelce's mother (private joke). H'e said Oh Sorry, I'm really f'ed up. And almost fell on the floor. My daughter is still laughing. Meanwhile the bartender could not have been nicer and as an old lady I had to use the ladies room which was unbelievably clean. So glad that I have decided to participate in all the wild and crazy things on my bucket list.

      Delete
  2. Glad you had such a fun night! You look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look wonderful but not very witchy...you must be a good witch! What fun!! You do the most fun adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's obvious that you must be a good Witch! I love this, I don't think our town has anything like it. Although they do have a Harvest Parade and all sorts of fun things happening in the town.

    Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a fantastic day! Your town seems like a great place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like fun, but too much walking for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like a lot of fun! You and your daughter looked like good witches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dumping the Witching Hour Cosmopolitan in the bushes made me laugh, that must have been strong. Asking for the Enchanted very weak at the dive bar is my kind of order too. Hope the sandwich plates and tea cups are still waiting for you on Friday.
    https://canalsandcitrus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You both looked the part. What a grand time too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your town and businesses know how to put on a fun walk! Your smiles at the end are adorable and I hope the charity shop has your treasures when you return! You all looked great! Thanks for the fun post, Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Miss Merry, I am so glad ๐Ÿ˜Š you had a great time. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Miss Merry, you've done it again. You and your family certainly know how to have fun. Love the pics and the costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful time! Great idea. Now I'm going to check to see what my new town does to celebrate Halloween, er Samhain!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looked fun but witches are not my 'thing'

    ReplyDelete
  15. What fun! You live in acommunity that knows how to pull it together!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a great idea -- fun to get people into businesses and just as fun to attend! I'm glad you got a swag bag and won a bit, too. You and your daughter both look so fantastic! I love your outfits. And it looks like the weather was perfect, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun adventure!
    I love how the event brought so much energy to your town.
    The costumes, the drinks, the laughter… it all looked magical.
    You really captured the spirit of the night!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I mailed my postcards today. Did you get yours done?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments. Sometimes it takes me a hot minute to authorize comments due to grandchildren commitments. I apologize but I can't let those scammers get the upper hand!