Thursday, June 18, 2015

Today is the Day!

It is officially Orange Day Lily Day at my house! When I first purchased my house in 1978, it was basically a grey aluminum sided rectangle that greatly resembled a semi trailer or metal box. It did come with landscaping, both bushes and trees, planted so close to the foundation that it was practically under it and everything was growing sideways trying to reach sunlight or rain. We were 19 and could not identify anything, which lead to the most beautiful flowering trees and lilacs replanted behind our garage where our neighbor Peggy can enjoy them.
t
These lilies used to grow wild out in ditches and such in the rural areas of our county. One day my mom and I threw some shovels in the back of my blue chevette, buckled the babies in car seats and went on a mission. We could not bring ourselves to pilfer from a farm ditch or private property, but when we came along a clump by some railroad tracks, well, the mission began. We took turns waiting in the car while we managed to dig up two large bundles.
Originally I split the clump along the side of our picket fence in the play yard. After a memorable day when my husband and I had a discussion about landscaping under these windows over breakfast, only to come home at lunch and find he had ripped out all the bushes while I was a work. I had no money to replace them so I transplanted the lilies under these windows. This worked great until they flowered and fell across the sidewalk behind this space and no one could reach the front door.  I had a row of Rose O'Sharon on the other side of the sidewalk, so we moved them in front of those bushes. As you can see, they love to spread! And that is one of the reasons I love them!

You can also see why the grass is not mowed and how wet it is by the invasion of the mushrooms in my front yard.
My favorite view of the orange blossoms is from my rocking chair on my front porch. No one can see me behind all this loveliness and I can watch the world go by behind them. Excuse the drying storage containers. I dumped out another storage closet and I am getting ready to dig through the saving with my shovel.

I hope everyone is enjoying these summer days, whether sitting in your garden or hiding indoors during a rain storm!

10 comments:

  1. Your ditch lilies (that's what I have always called them!) are beautiful. I had a small clump of them near the door into the garage that just didn't look good so I moved them out to the front...now there is a huge circle of them that grows each year. I need to dig them up and maybe move some to the back where I have very little.
    Have a great weekend, Miss Merry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have some orange ones. I think a landscaping beam ruined them. I can see angry skies. It's like that here. You home is nice and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have some orange ones. I think a landscaping beam ruined them. I can see angry skies. It's like that here. You home is nice and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful garden and picket fence. Summer is such a happy time of year specially for blooms. I love the pop of orange in the fence.
    Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... they're so beautiful! I love the story behind them too :)

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way the height of the lilies is just about perfect in relation to the railing. I can see why a spot on the porch is your favorite place to be when they're in bloom.

    Very pretty, and I enjoyed reading the backstory as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning Miss Merry!!
    What a cheery post! I love it and the story, and the Lilies and well everything is just so appealing and heartwarming.
    I would like to join you on your front porch sometime...
    xx
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a view of all views! I love lilies, and the story behind yours is amazing. I just love the view from your porch, so I'm joining you in a rocking chair, too! I think it would be wonderful to have a cup of something and just take in the breathtaking sight of all those orange blossoms. My gramma had orange lilies in her ditches. And I have a few, but nothing like yours in your pretty bed. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a view of all views! I love lilies, and the story behind yours is amazing. I just love the view from your porch, so I'm joining you in a rocking chair, too! I think it would be wonderful to have a cup of something and just take in the breathtaking sight of all those orange blossoms. My gramma had orange lilies in her ditches. And I have a few, but nothing like yours in your pretty bed. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy seeing the flowers from Ohio. I have some daylilies, but my hibisci have been the most beautiful this year. Also, I planted an elephant ear bulb. The plant is huge. Yesterday, we noticed that it has a flower...kinda looks like a jack in the pulpit. Love your camp. We did crafting with the Gs with two of our greats this year. They had fun and we were worn out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry