Sunday, May 31, 2020

Last Day of Homeschool

Arm update: I have been to physical therapy three times and have had three different therapists. The unit just reopened and it is finding it's feet again. Lots of safety precautions. The first two sessions went well, I thought. The third left me unable to move for two days. 

Homeschool Update:

The first grade had a year end project to accomplish. The students read the story of the Three Little Pigs and had one week to build a house out of household materials that could withstand the winds of a hair dryer.  I thought we were going big, but on the driving by tour to see the other houses in driveways - two of them were at least four feet tall! Many were much smaller, made from legos. 
Grampa helped the student cut pieces from scrap lumber. Miss Merry mixed leftover acrylic paints to achieve a brick color. 
Mortar was added to confuse the big bad wolf by thinking the wooden house was a brick house. 
We were directed to create a poster to explain the process. I taught the student the old trick of pencil lines on the cardboard to help keep the sentences straight. 
The shutters made from popsicle sticks changed color three times before the builder was satisfied. 
While his brother and a flat first grade teacher looked on, the house passed the hair dryer test!!

4 comments:

  1. What a great project! It is just perfect! I am so sorry that you had a bad PT session...be sure to tell them...some of them are just overly aggressive:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great project!! I had a patient a long time ago who used to call the therapists "Physical Terrorists" instead of physical therapists!! I probably will never forget that because it can be very true at times...When I was going right after my knee surgery, they had me on the mat doing some leg lifts..My knee was fine but it killed my back so much so that they could not put me back on the mat again...I hope you arm is getting better with each day...
    Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and for letting me know that you did by leaving a comment!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great job he did! I couldn't do one that nice for sure! He must have a great teacher(s)! I didn't know you hurt yourself. Ouch, the therapy sounds worse than the injury! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just stopping in to Thank you for your visits!! Hope you are feeling well and your arm is healing!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry