Sunday, June 6, 2021

Mother's Day Tea

 

This was going to be a happy post! A return to the New Normal Post. A record of my second time out in the real world and the first get together with family (who are also my girl squad!). 

I had gathered my two daughters, my two granddaughters, my two daughter-in-loves, my co-gramma and my daughter's sister-in-love and niece.  I made reservations for tea at the most elegant tearoom and my most favorite tearoom, Sweet Shalom in Sylvania, Ohio. 
We started with the scone course. Our cream scones were served with butter and jam. We were so eager to sample them, I forgot to get a picture without a bite! 

Our delicious scones were following by the soup course. This broccoli cheese soup was every bit as delicious as it looks in the photo. The list of teas is to my right. With such a large table we were able to order three separate teas in refillable pots so that we could sample several varieties of Harney and Sons teas. Or should I say vari it teas? 


My youngest granddaughter had the "child's tea". Here we see some peanut butter and jelly tea sandwiches served with a fruit cup, cookie and dessert. The younger ladies could also choose pink lemonade instead of tea. 


Our tea trays (this one is for four)


We each sampled a cucumber tea sandwich, vegetable confetti popover, egg salad tea sandwich, spring fruit salad and an Irish lace cookie on our Johnson and Johnson china dinner plate. 


Followed by a Daffodil Cake served in a glass goblet. 


Followed by .  .  . Decadent Chocolate Cream Pie with Whipped Topping. And yes - forks and spoons were immediately inserted into the pie; this was the best photo I could grab before they disappeared!!

The Sweet Shalom Tearoom hosted teas on Fridays and Sundays with a themed high tea menu each month. During the pandemic they even had carryout teas available for preorder. Unfortunately they are almost two hours away which was too far to pickup.  

I was eagerly stalking their webpage for details on the summer teas in the coming months. Unfortunately they announced last week that the very tea we attended was the last seating of their last tea. The two proprietress' are retiring and closing the tea room. The tea room was worth every second of the drive to and from their adorable Victorian home turned tea room and was only a few blocks from my oldest daughter's home. 

I am so glad we were able to make time to visit but I am pretty devastated that the tearoom is closing. 



9 comments:

  1. It looks like so much fun and such an elegant time. I'm hoping to go to a High Tea in London when we visit there next month. I do love "real" teas. I'm so sorry they are closing. It's too bad that no one wants to take the tearoom over. It seems like nice family oriented places don't seem to last long but there are sports bars everywhere!
    Maybe someone will decide to take the tearoom on before too long.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun outing! Hope you all wore hats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I not know you were a blogger until now? I enjoyed reading your post about Sweet Shalom. It will definitely be missed, but I wish Chris and Sara many happy years of retirement [actually this is their second retirement because Chris was a school teacher and Sara was a school nurse

    ReplyDelete
  4. O NO!! So sad to hear that this tea room is closing...What an amazing time you had though with your family..We had a beautiful tea room here in a grand Victorian home that closed several years ago. I was so sad about it because I had gone there many times with friends but I have great memories....Thanks for sharing your experience...It was wonderful to see!! And thanks so much to visiting..
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am writing just before I need to fix dinner and all that luscious food made me so hungry! I'm not having anything near that delectable! It is so sad they are closing but I am so glad you and your family got to enjoy it one more time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me again!! Loved your weed story!! LOL! I try to stay away from all the political posts and name calling on FB...I get enough of that aggravation at home. My issue is everyone takes things too seriously...You post one thing that you do not like to do or eat, etc. and everyone takes it as a personal assault on thier likes and dislikes! REALLY? I truly do not care what the majority of people I know on FB think! I have unfreinded and blocked family members as they were the ones that really mattered to me. The others I do not unfriend or block because i truly do not care about them to put such importance on what they post. I will be blogging but not posting as much as I did..It was becoming a job and I am done working...Thanks for always stopping by!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. The food looks SO delicious and also elegantly presented. What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me again....every time I come back here to thank you for stopping by, I think about how sad I am to hear that this tea room is closing and that the one by us, which I loved, also closed.... Thanks again for visiting!!! I truly appreciate it!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry