Friday, August 28, 2026

One Day at a Time

The garden is still gardening. 


My neighbors don't even want more vegetables.  This counter full went into a cardboard tray from Aldi and was delivered to the food bank. 

Holding Mimi Camp for seven grandchildren the week before school starts was not the best idea.  I am so tired. 

This morning I asked my husband why he was waking me up so early on Saturday. I was crushed to find out it was Friday and I really did have to get up.  We are only making breakfast and putting two children on the bus this year.   

After feeding them and getting them off to school I sat in my chair.  Mr Merry went out with the weed wacker and it's motor burned up. We had to go to the hardware store to pick up a new one which I ordered on line because it was $40 cheaper to order it on line and pick it up at the store which is less than a mile from my house. This meant I had to get dressed. 

By the time we got home it was lunch time. I made sandwiches and then he weed wacked while I did dishes.  By then it was time to start planning the afterschool snack and getting them off the bus. 

Mom picked up the kids and we left to go get my prescriptions.  And then I made dinner (cucumbers, tomatoes and yellow squash - his with a side of a bratwurst burger, mine with a piece of salmon). And it took me until 6:45 p.m.  

And basically that is how my days have been going - a whole lotta nothing.  I haven't even walked for three days - I am just too tired.  Hopefully I can get into a routine by next week and maybe get it together.

I did get my act together for the first day of school. 

Okay, so it is mostly store bought. 

 I did fry the eggs. 



After school apples with salted caramel spread and toppings. Thanks Aldi. 


15 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're so tired Miss Merry, getting 2 kids off to school can be a chore. By the way, those kids are beautiful. And I for one could go for a bratwurst burger! 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I understand poorly, I miss a translator :)) Wishing you a nice and pleasant Saturday, Andreja! The kids are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. School starts earlier in Ohio. We start the day after Labor Day. You need a good rest. Take this weekend for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your table is adorable ( who cares about store bought?) You’ve made such happy memories for your family, now time to rest. Take care, Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  5. MIss Merry, you had me laughing with your comment, "I was crushed to find out... and I really did have to get up." This happened to me several times this week... one when the lawn man texted me at 7:30 am to say that he was here...(sometimes they come later) which meant I had to get up to pay him when he was done as it was the monthly payday. And also when you said that "This meant I had to get dressed"... this too is an unexpected pain. It also happened another morning before 7am when my Endodonist called to answer some questions... and yes, I had asked her to call me... just didn't expect her to call that early (when I'm not yet awake). But you do what you have to do, right? And you always seem to come through. But I do hope you get some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No wonder you're tired! Take it easy. The kids can just have simple snacks without labels...they'll know what to do. I think you go the extra mile for them. Of course you do, because that's what grandmas are built for...someone said. Hey, make it your own way! And rest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bless your heart, Miss Merry. You did your best. Make sure to take a rest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know how much you love them but oh, I wish you had some relief or support with this. You've been through so very much this year and you do know it takes a very long while to heal and adjust to a new normal, right? I'm sure your family sees you as a necessity to do this but I so wish there was another way. I just worry about you, with the stress and the whole work of it. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh. I wish I had known about the weed eater. We could have gotten a very nice Stihl battery operated one with charger from Albert-down-the-road! I spent a couple hours weed eating Friday. It is something I enjoy. I mean to spend an hour a day keeping up with it, but I never quite manage it.

    I am sorry about the exhaustion. It is such a struggle for you.

    Lesson learned from my garden. No one in their right mind needs 24 tomato plants for two people.

    I have 6 chickens to pick up. 😃

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mention the fatigue to your provider too. Just being cautious. Other than that, you are so jam packed full of activities that anyone would be a bit tired! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your grandkids are so cute, Mary. You seem to spend a lot of time in the kitchen preparing meals. Well, happy times! Make memories!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your week sounds like what we experienced this summer. Grandparenting is not supposed to be as exhausting as parenting.
    Your comment about the Erie Canal being close to N.Ohio surprised me. Unless you consider Buffalo NY close to Ohio, I'm not sure the canal you are referring to is the Erie. Still scratching my head about that comment but thanks for visiting. I enjoy reading your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I figured it out about the Erie Canal. The one near you runs north to south connecting Akron to Lake Erie near Cleveland! The one we visited runs from Albany to Buffalo, NY!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Store bought or homemade, the sentiment is the same and you always put so much love and effort into everything you do. Take a rest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm in for the Caramel Apple Bar!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments. Sometimes it takes me a hot minute to authorize comments due to grandchildren commitments. I apologize but I can't let those scammers get the upper hand!

Miss Merry