Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Word of the Month

I am totally late to the Word of the Year or alternately, Word of the Month game.  Just a few mornings ago, I was reveling in a new item and realized I finally have a theme. A Word of the Month. 

My theme for January? My Word of the Month? 

SOCKS

Now I watch some of you actually knit socks. I am in awe of your talents! My mother was a knitter and tried to teach me to knit for most of my childhood. I understand the idea, but I can only knit so tightly that, after a few rows, the needles need to be cut from the yarn to free them. I don't know why. I believe she tried many times to show me and tell me why. But I could not help knitting so tightly as to require the scissors. Meanwhile, your handknit socks look fantastic! 

When baby #5 turned three and I returned to the work force, we wore hose. Panty hose. And skirts. I live in a small town and even in the enlightened 1980's, that was what was expected in offices and the library. Every once in a while I would dress down with a pair of black dress slacks. As a person with small feet and a limited budget, I would buy multi packs of boys black crew socks to wear with my dress pants. 

I think it was in the early 2000's that I interviewed for a position a farm equipment dealership. The agency told me that the dress was very casual. I was stumped. I ended up wearing a denim dress and was very overdressed for the part.  The office workers actually wore jeans. It took me a few years to get with that program, but I did indulge in a few pairs of khakis to go with the black slacks. 

I retired in my late 50's to take care of my father and be a stay home gramma. I still wore jeans and those boys crew socks. Then, one Christmas, I received a gift card to J C Penney. I can always find a million things to purchase, except when I make a special trip with a gift card. I saw a display of some beautiful socks that were "buy one package, get one free".  I did some math in  my head and the cost exactly equaled my gift card. I was the proud owner of women's socks! 

The socks I purchased were from Columbia. They were the most comfortable socks I ever owned and I had a drawer full! Every morning I feel very special when I put on my fancy socks. 

The other night I looked down at my foot and noticed a hole in one of my socks! I couldn't believe it until I counted on my fingers and realized how many years I have had my fancy socks. Yes, they are wearing out. 

My husband, who had heard my outcry, said "Why don't you just order more socks?" I told him they are expensive socks. He said "We certainly have enough money to buy socks, just order new socks". He just spoils me - lol. So I went  to Penney's website only to find they no longer carry Columbia socks. I had my heart set on Columbia socks. 

There is a Kohls about 45 minutes away so they were my next choice. They had the socks on sale and you can do curbside pickup! Except when I tried to order them and found they were out of stock and could not be ordered for store pickup. I could order them to be shipped, but would order $75 worth of socks to get free shipping. 

I went to Amazon and lo and behold, they had my socks at a reasonable price. And I ordered them. 



My new socks are more cushy (of course) and I am just delighted with them. My "old" socks are all blues and purples and my "new" socks are pink, grey and black.  I feel just as fancy as when I purchased my first pairs and smile every  morning when I choose a pair from the drawer. 

It's been a long year folks. I am appreciating the small stuff. And my word for January is SOCKS.  


6 comments:

  1. I LOVE this. And I know what you mean about spending gift cards. For several years Dennis has given me a $100 gift card to Hobby Lobby for Christmas and Birthday present together. The only rule? I can't spend it on things for others or charity. I have to spend it on myself. Heavens! It takes me all year to spend that gift card. I pick things up and put them back. I'm so miserly with hit! Ha! This year, I told him no gift card. I still have most of last years since I've haven't been able to shop.
    I love those socks you bought. They DO look comfortable. I bought Dennis some at Costco a couple of years ago and he said they are the most comfortable socks he's ever had.
    Take care and enjoy those warm feet.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!! I loved this....One of the first thing O did when I stopped working and decided to clean out drawers was go through my socks!! I had 2 drawers of them..all colors, all different kinds of designs and lots of Holiday socks for every Holiday...As an RN for the health care system that I worked for, we were required to wear battleship gray scrubs with only white as an accent for a long sleeve shirt underneath the tops in the Winter.BORING!!! Before this new rule was instituted that different disciplines wear different colors so patients would know what your title was, we were allowed to wear any color and ant design of scrubs and believe me, I thoroughly enjoyed expressing myself through my scrubs...So once, I was relegated to battleship gray, I invested in bright colored and patterned socks to express my originality....When I stopped working, I wore all of my socks for one day to see how comfy each pair was and donated those that were not comfy to Salvation Army...I just may have to look into these socks of yours because comfort is my goal now!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Dbe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wore hose and high heels, too. Does anyone even do that anymore? I know tights are a thing. But does anyone actually wear pantyhose now? Or the knee high hosiery? I'm definitely all about comfort now and mostly wear some type of tennie shoe so have a lot of ankle socks. Rarely do my regular socks get worn. Right now my feet are feeling cold so it's time to put on my big fuzzy woolen socks that only get used during the winter months. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Socks! Love this! How important, you discovered, it is to have comfortable feet! It's important to find joy in all things! Thank you for sharing yours with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am trying to find out how to follow your blog and I am having a hard time. Can you help me? Thank you! ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could always darn your old socks:) So you are a tight knitter...with practice you could do it! I need to get busy with socks again soon before I forget how to do them:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry