Tuesday, May 2, 2023

GW

I'm actually very proud of myself.  I spent 3 days at a Genealogy Conference (and I will share more about that) and had one day to do laundry and get my act together.  One part of this act was to gather items I had accumlated for the past year for silent auction baskets for my church festival. 

I left the house to get more baskets at Goodwill and hopefully those clear mylar bags for baskets at Dollar Tree (they were out). I got waylayed for over an hour at Walmart when I ran into the children's librarian I worked with at the library 20 years ago. But I made it to Goodwill about 15 minutes before they closed. 

I did not take a cart because I was just getting two baskets. The first thing I saw was a box with pieces of Pfaltzgraff in the Tea Rose pattern. The old kind made in the USA! There were some luncheon plates and some ruffled edge plates and misc other pieces. I left it thinking I would pick it up on the way to the register. 

Then I saw this huge box of plates that I just love!


And next to them was this box with cups! 


And even more plates and things. 


And I did not buy them.  


I loved this set - it's plastic but cute. 


Do you ever feel like you are finding things you donated at Goodwill? Even years ago? I swear these are plates my mother sold at a sale when she sold her house and moved into a condo. 


I really, really think they are her plates. But I did not buy them. 


Is this not the cutest mini tea pot? Yet, I did not purchase it. 

I did grab two baskets as they announced the store was closing. And I did not remember to pick up the Tea Rose plates. 

The reason I am so proud that I resisted the urge to accumlate dishes is my dish hoarding. When I was a young housewife a hundred years ago, I liked to look at the place settings as much as the recipes. I remember when I found some checkered border plates at Big Lots that were very similar to ones on the cover of Country Living magazine! A few decades later I discovered blogs on the internet that featured "Tablescapes".  I found my people! No dishware or china was safe. 

I have way too many dishes. An embarassing amount of dishes. There used to be a Pfatzgraff outlet near my home. And I inherited everyone's wedding china. Then, in 2020, I fell and shattered my arm. Now it is difficult to lift the plates on and off the shelves. I purchased some melamine plates and that is what we mainly use for meals. 

But I still have all the dishes.  

I also have a Pandemic Pantry which borders on hoarding. I had to have a stern talk with myself. Even if . . . We are not in the same situation now as we were in April 2020. Personally, I have a freezer full of beef. There is a large dairy in a neighboring city north of us and they set up online ordering and curbside pickup of all dairy products. I am sure they can set it back up in minutes.  And south of us are two large vegetable farms who sell to restaurants and grocery stores. They set up online ordering of small, medium, or large boxes of miscellanous fresh vegetables with curb side pickup for households. I'm sure they could do it again.  I do not need to keep all these processed foods on shelves. (I still plan cupboards full, just not enough to stock a small store). 

The master plan in my mind is to take everything out of my kitchen cupboards and scrub them.  Then I am only returning the plates, glasses, cups and bowls we actually use. And I am moving in my mixing bowls and glass baking dishes that I actually use to the kitchen. AND I am putting the food in the cupboards in the kitchen. I know this sounds elementary to most of you. 

And the cute stuff (shelves and shelves of cute stuff) is going in the utility room or possibly in the overflowing china cabinets. And if I am in the right mood, some of it might jump in the donation box. 

So I am very happy I did not bring home more plates that I do not need and that I can't even lift into the cupboards. Baby steps. 

6 comments:

  1. I had to chuckle as I saw that Dollar Tree now has plates out with Bees on them that are adorable!! Yes, of course I want them...But then, where will I store them and when will I use them especially since my husband insists on using paper plates as he does the dishes!! So I will try to contain myself...Hopefully...Thanks so much for stopping by again!! I truly appreciate it!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have way too many sets of dishes also. Hard to part with. Good luck with your project! Hope you have some success! I have been cleaning out the deep freeze every Fall before we go North for the winter and defrosting it and then leaving it unplugged for the Winter. That is one way to use it all up before we go...November is a use it up month and the grocery bill goes way down:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I have Dennis's Mom's china that he bought her when he lived in Japan. He also bought me a set for a wedding gift just before we were married. When we moved into our camper after selling our Spokane home, I gave my china to Mandy. Then, last year, when Mom moved into her apartment, I took her china! We never, ever use it. I should donate it before we move next week but I just can't bring myself to do it. We need to actually use it sometime.
    You found some really nice things and you didn't buy them. Living here in the apartment for the past six months has made it easy not to buy anything because there is no room. I hope that I can continue that in the future. You can do it too! Maybe even donte something!
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have been tempted with those plates too! I have lots of plates also, but mine are all different kinds and no sets at all. I like different colors and mixing and matching. I went with some plasticware when friends of mine broke dishes on the porch.
    I have some really unique tea cups I've picked up over the years too, but those are just for looking at !

    People do collect things! Hubby collected pieces of metal as he was a welder, so he never tossed out any chunk of metal! :)
    One step at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Miss Merry ,wow there were lots of beautiful goodies at the thrift shop,lots of temptation there that’s for sure . I must admit I am a bit of a hoarder too ,hope you have a lovely day my friend 🌹🤍🌹

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel your pain. I am trying to get rid of all the "stuff" I've collected over the years and my parent's stuff too. I moved into their house and all their stuff is still here. Down here it is hard to get rid of stuff as we are all old and downsizing too. You sound like your are doing great though!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry