Sunday, September 22, 2024

Q&A and Homecoming Update

I had a few questions on the last post! I'll try to answer them for everyone. 

Question 1: Yes, I fell off a ladder into a box of picture frames. The frames were empty as I was packing the box for donation. This was at least 10 years ago and my bones were much younger. I did not break any bones or even bleed as I remember. I did give up the book shelf project and make a cup of tea. By the time I finished my tea, the bruising and aching had started and I spent the rest of the weekend in a hot shower or in my recliner pouting. My husband hadn't retired yet and I was always making bad decisions when I was home alone. 

I have had three bad falls in my adult life - the ladder into picture frame fall, an interesting morning where I slipped in the shower and reached for a grab bar that we had installed for my mother (forgetting that we had removed the grab bar after she passed). I got a fist full of shower curtain, flipped out of the tub and landed on the floor with the shower rod landing on top of me. At first I laid there, certain I was broken in pieces. I gingerly started to move, was able to move so . . . I got up, got dressed and went to work. That was a really bad decision since by the time I got to work, I could hardly get out of my car. Just battered and bruised. The third fall was the charm. I was washing dishes and next I knew I was on the floor. Long story of my first ambulance ride, a "displaced spiral fracture" of my humerus, surgery a few days before the world closed for covid, blah blah blah.  That is THREE, the magic number and I do not intend to fall again. I am very conscious of my balance and use handrails and whatever else is available to keep me upright and stable. 

Question 2: What is in the suitcases? When they were decoratively stacked like a table, one held Barbie clothes, one held dress up clothes and one held the wardrobe for my very own American Girl Doll, Maryellen.  Since I decided to have them put on the top shelf and I am barred from using the ladder, the suitcases must remain empty for now. 

Becoming a Homecoming Princess is a lot more work than I was aware of and requires a lot of money. My granddaughter is required to have three semi formal outfits in addition to her homecoming dance dress. She has a mandatory meeting before school this Monday to discuss wardrobe expectations. Since her mother is a college professor and doesn't have free time to shop all week, they visited some establishments today (Sunday) on their way home from an event at a branch of the University. They purchased 3 lovely day dresses in fall colors and prints, one for the newspaper photo on Tuesday, one for the assembly on Friday and one for the football game on Friday night. 

She also got a wonderful pair of sparkly sandal shoes with comfort inserts like pillows. Her mother has some beige booties which would match any of the three dresses. However the school just installed a new track and field and we heard a rumor that last years royalty compromised with Converse tennis shoes with their dresses.  We are hoping that the wardrobe purchases fit in with what the senior girls think is the dress code for all this hoopla. My youngest daughter, her aunt, is a fashionista who was able to assist in some accessories including jackets and purses. Luckily they passed through our small town on their way home for the event for a fashion show for gramma. 

I would like to mention that the kids are calling this HoCo now, instead of homecoming. I am not on board with this vernacular. 

And, because life here on the farm (the farm with two tomato plants and two pepper plants) is still prolific, we were able to send them home with a basket of freshly picked tomatoes and peppers.  I think I have enough left from this picking to make more freezer salsa.  


3 comments:

  1. Yes Homecoming is expensive, our oldest was in the Homecoming court as a Senior. Too much hoopla...four dresses is a bit much to ask. Thanks for telling us what was in the suitcases!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I had boys so I had no idea what become a Homecoming person would entail. But then again, I only went to one school dance Junior High and I got into a fight with another kid. He dumped coke on my dress just to be mean and I decked him and got tossed out.

    As for falls and crashes, I have had many. A few times they were caused by riding a bucking equine. Some were just slips on ice under the snow when hiking and at least one time missing most of the steps from upstairs to downstairs and doing a magnificent crash on the landing. Thankfully no broken anything, just strains and sprains. This summer ... :) ... well I got run over by an ebike. So there is that.
    It is kind of fun to reminisce about our grand wrecks except when we get hurt!

    Be careful!




    ReplyDelete
  3. If I were to record the number of times I have fallen it would become a book! That fall off the ladder sounds really painful. Having fallen in the shower I know how bad that is. Luckily, you have good bones. Formal wear and Converse!😄

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments. Sometimes it takes me a hot minute to authorize comments due to grandchildren commitments. I apologize but I can't let those scammers get the upper hand!

Miss Merry