Wednesday, September 4, 2024

High School Graduation

Even my kids were appalled to learn that I was old enough to be attending my 50th high school graduation reunion.  If you have been following my saga I have spent many weeks trying to lose 50 pounds off my body and 50 years off my face as well as more than 50 dollars on various tops and bottoms since I am fashion challenged. 

The next year the photographer offered color. 
I do want to be clear that I went into this with a bad attitude (based on reunions 40, 25 and 10 years ago), but this was one of the goals set by my best friend when she was diagnosed with cancer for the second time. She even talked another friend and all three husbands into attending. 

The day was getting closer and I was coming down with a cold. The morning dawned and I had absolutely zero voice. But I did have a hair appointment with a new hairdresser.  She did something to my hair.  It did look very nice the day after.  I took a pad of paper and a purse full of cough drops with me. 

The full invitation for this event in our small town was four days long. Not that everyone was invited to all four days of activities.  The first hint was on Thursday on our class facebook page. A photo of someone sitting at a table in a restaurant at a golf course in a nearby town appeared with the caption "where is everybody". The next post was from the "administrator" saying that there were four tickets available for $109 each to the Doobie Brothers concert that evening at a place 2 hours away, if anyone else was interested in attending. 

Friday was on the invitation.  An all day golf outing at a local golf course with the "administrators" stacking teams so that a poor spouse who knows no one would be put in groups of other classmates and spouses.  That evening was a cocktail party, outdoors on a patio of a local establishment. We did not attend the cocktail party since we thought we would run out of conversation for the following evening. 

I should mention at this point that the temperatures in our area were in the upper 90's the entire weekend with "feels like" temperatures crossing the line into 100. 

So, now to Saturday.  I got my hair done in the morning for no reason I can fathom. We had discovered that the reunion dinner for $75 per person was also being held on a patio (instead of an air conditioned room) at a resort nearby. I knew it would be a frizzy mess by evening, but there you are.  

While we were busy getting ready, the class had been invited to participate in a pool party in the 98 degree heat at the resort under a cabana where they would be drinking and playing cards. In bathing suits while others are holding phones with cameras. 

We arrived about 15 minutes early so we could pick our table and did get the only table in the shade. Unfortunately we were surrounded by large pine trees on both sides so we could barely see around them.  On the other side of the pine tree beside me was the entertainment. 

Of course our $75 each included an open bar. There were two kinds of beer, a dry red wine, a dry white wine and lots and lots of liquor bottles. With all my cold meds I was drinking ginger ale. My husband doesn't drink public so he enjoyed an off brand sprite. My friend tried the white wine and switched to ginger ale. So there that went.  

The entertainment was a classmate singing 40's and 50's hits to a karaoke machine. We did not realize it was live until he was almost finished. The sound system got even louder when a DJ took over. 

They announced the food was a buffet in a nearby door and we went in to discover - a taco bar. I later looked up menus at the resort and this option was on the "Hors D'Oeuvres" menu page. 

We talked to maybe four other people. A girl that had moved out of state 49 years ago was there and my friend did speak with her. It was dark on the patio by then so it was too hard to have a paper conversation. No one made any efforts to speak to anyone other than their friend group. Our husbands, who don't really know each other and did not attend our high school, really enjoyed the weirdness of the party and were just hilarious. By the end of the evening we were planning some dinners out with just our three couples. 

I should mention how smart we were to get a table early, even if it was behind a tree and in the corner, as there was not enough table seating so other people were standing around high top cocktail tables or balancing their plate of nachos on their laps to eat their dinners. 

And in retrospect, couldn't we have had a frozen margarita machine? 

I excused myself to go to the restroom and just made it back for an unannounced group photo. I knew there were others still in the restroom, some groups in the hallway and even more who had left right after the taco bar who did not make it into the photo they knew nothing about. It turned out that we had hired a photographer for the event and there are now over 300 photos on the facebook page of a certain group of people and their spouses.  If we had known we had a photographer, we would have asked him to take a group photo at our table. 

After the photo we all hit the road. Husband and I came home and made scrambled eggs and toast.  I woke up in the middle of the night since my feet were covered in mosquito bites.  I suffer from something actually called mosquito syndrome where my mosquito bites swell up like giant hives so this made for a fun few days. And I guess a wiser person would have sprayed her feet before going to an evening patio party in August. 

My cold got even worse and it took 3 days to get into the doctor. And that morning, the office called to cancel me because my doctor was sick. They could get me in the next week.  I said no. I do feel about 70-80% better now and spent my allowance on every over the counter remedy they make. 

We did jointly agree that this will be our last class reunion.  The end. 

13 comments:

  1. I have never been to one of my class reunions and I don't think I'm missing anything. I went with my husband to two of his and I knew more people there than I would have at mine! Doubt if we will go to anymore of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Goodness. What a story. It does remind me of the only two reunions I've gone to. My 10th and my 45 last year. They were awful. Familiar to yours with a bunch of drunk people added in. I would much rather stay home and get a pizza with my Hubby. :-) I'm so sorry that it turned out this way for you and especially that you're still sick. At least your three couples hit it off and can get together again.
    We just recently found Dennis's best friend from grade through high school. They had lost touch after our weddings and we moved to Spokane. We went out to dinner last Friday night and then back to our condo for dessert. It was actually really nice and we hit it off together again.
    Get better soon.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Merry, I do hope you're feeling better and I hope I was allowed to have a couple chuckles here as your writing can be quite entertaining. In fact I had to read this twice to ensure I didn't miss anything! Thank you for sharing and that is a lovely senior photo by the way. I graduated in 1979, so my 50th is 5 years away. Now I know what I can look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like my 10th and 25th...so I skipped my 50th and felt just fine about it. Sorry it was a bummer for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My high school had a lot of very wealthy kids in it. Ever see Ferris Bueller's Day Off? That was my high school. I went to the 25th reunion. I was divorced and worked managing a gas station. Everyone was supposed to write down their jobs they currently had.
    Lawyers, Doctors, and investment bankers were prevalent.
    I stated that I worked in the oil markets.
    It does sound like something that you sort of had fun at though. I left high school and never looked back.

    I would have loved to be a mouse at our 50th.
    But I never even looked for it this summer.
    I hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not attended any reunion. I went to a huge school, didn't really fit in and was ecstatic about graduating and putting it all in the past. Your description tells me I made a good decision! You did a great job describing the evening, I also got a few chuckles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make me happy I haven't been to a class reunion since my 10th and that was in 1970. They always plan very expensive events spread out over 2 or 3 days. I hope your friend who talked you into going was happy to accomplish her goal and had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG the Reunion from Hell... and a spendy one at that for such a disastrously Hosted one! I only ever went to One Reunion, didn't take The Man, he's much Older than me and didn't wanna hang out with "Kids"... LOL since it was perhaps our 25th or 30th Reunion and the only one I ever attended since I only did my Senior Year in Phoenix. We were a Career Military Family and I might have had way more interest in attending a Reunion of our American High School when we were stationed in England. Anyway, at our Reunion here it was just Sad to see all the Popular Kids have such empty lives that High School was their High Point that they kept reliving apparently as their Glory Days. Most of the rest of us had attained far more Success so High School was not important and tho' good to see everyone that many Years later, I told The Man that he hadn't missed much, it was boring, I wasn't that interested in talking about High School, it was more a vague Memory long past and not Rose Colored Glasses worthy really... can't say I recalled that much about it actually, life got far more interesting and better post Graduation. i would never bother going to another either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG!! I am sorry but I could not help but chuckle as I do love the way you tell a story..I believe I mentioned that several years ago , I did join my Class reunion FB Group and received tons of FB requests from classmates on my private FB page..Slowly over time, I realized why I moved 25 minutes away from where I grew up and why I chose not to stay in contact with anyone I went to high school with....Once a Bully, always a bully and those kids that bullied me in grade school were still bullies BUT they got a rude awakening when they found out that little Debbie was not going to take their rude and snarky remarks anymore....I have basically unfriended and even blocked most of those class mates and have no intention whatsoever of going to my 50th class reunion next year....Ours is held outside at a local fire company which has a large room for catered events....Not a fancy affair at all....Thanks so much for all your visits...Yes, Bingo is big around here and purse bingo's here are a dime a dozen. There is a very large Catholic population here and you know us Catholics and Bingo!!! LOL!! I hope your feet healed...Benadryl works for that too, and your cold is better....Do you have any Urgent Care places by you??? Something that is also a dime a dozen around here....
    Hugs
    Deb
    Debbie-Dabble Blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. I went to my tenth reunion to accompany my high school bff, who remained my friend until she passed away. She wanted to show up in her mother's furs, which she had inherited. I'd hurt my back badly that morning and took a muscle relaxer courtesy of my sister. Judy, the gadfly, had a grand time. I sat at a table and watched the proceedings. Then the muscle relaxer wore off and I doubled over. We went home.
    I learned everything I wanted to know. Half a dozen of us had moved on and had lives. All the rest were stuck in that little town and talked little town subjects. Except the boys killed in Vietnam. I've never gone back, even to my fiftieth, fifteen or so years ago. Long story short, too retro. Absolutely buried in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Merry! I went to one class reunion. What I discovered was that the cliques in high school gathered together and spoke to no one else. A kid from our class went to all the husbands and told them he had pictures of their wives naked as teenagers. (Spoiler: he didn't.) I saw Merv 'Griffin' at the end of it all passed out in the parking lot as his much younger girl friend sobbed beside him. I paid $10 for a book of memories that the girl must have forgotten to make up, because it was never received.

    I just never went to another. There was another plan to have a reunion weekend at a ski resort one year. Too pricey for me. There were fine dining establishments. Really, if I'm going to do something like that, I'd rather it be with a few close friends so that we could visit and enjoy the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh! It's going to be my 57th year after high school. Can it really be? I did go to my 5th or 10th. Can't remember. I went to my 50th and it was actually quite nice. It was also sad as they did a slide show of all the classmates we've lost. I was sitting between two friends with much better memory than me and could remind me who people were. I'm sorry your reunion was not great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man - what an event! I graduated 45 years ago, so I'm not far behind you. I haven't gone to any reunions. I get together regularly with a group of friends and that's enough for me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments. Sometimes it takes me a hot minute to authorize comments due to grandchildren commitments. I apologize but I can't let those scammers get the upper hand!

Miss Merry