Sunday, March 17, 2024

Getting Over Ourselves

My husband and I both think we look much younger than our actual ages. When we see classmates, we snicker when back in the car - "can you believe we went to school together?" "he looks twenty years older than me". 

This week I caught a cold. We have had a number of sick children scattered over past weeks, but this is not a bug they shared. Mine started with a sore throat, not strep or covid, and moved to a sinus infection that knocked me out.  I don't seem to rebound back like I did when I was younger. 

A week ago Friday all the kids got picked up early and hubby decided to show me his knee. A quick trip to urgent care showed that he had a severe case of bursitis which started when he smacked it into something three weeks ago. Of course he waited three weeks to mention it. He is now in the recliner with his leg raised on pillows, alternating ice packs. It is getting better, but he is very frustrated with trying not to bear weight.  And now he has caught my cold. Of course it is much worse than mine because it is a man cold. 

And I can't talk about him because I haven't been to the doctor either. There were two late nights I thought about it, but I find my doctor so frustrating I have decided to weather it out. 

We are feeling our age.  Today, instead of grocery shopping, I clicked a list at our Aldi, drove over and a nice girl put it in my car.  I don't know why I resist this. I was even thinking other shoppers in the lot were looking at me, thinking why can't she go inside and shop for herself? The big baby.  

Tomorrow three out of five of my grandkids schools are closed for a teacher thing. I usually have big plans (I will share this year's edition of Chopped soon). But  I am just worn out.  I have no plans for the kids, no trips planned and told the parents we will not be preparing dinner or sending any food home like usual.  I am just too tired and old. 

Tuesday is yet another election in our state. Actually the first one of 2024.  Last year we had at least three.  I need to be there at 5:00 am because I am on machine set up and I stay until almost 8 pm as I close out the machines (with a member of the opposing party as a teammate).  The good thing is that many in the community have "early voted" so hopefully it won't be the same madhouse as the last election.  

Okay, done whining.  I guess this old lady will fix another cup of tea.  

I forgot to mention my youngest daughter. Put fiancé's house up for sale, sold in 6 days, closed Wednesday and had to be out Friday. Bought the new house on the same time table, moved in on Thursday. Today they took our vehicles to move some things from her house. Once dad is better, he is going to paint and take care of the small things so they can list that too. Wedding countdown is 18 days.  Then it's 4 days until the big eclipse with house guests.  


12 comments:

  1. I relate to everything you wrote except grandkids. My husband is worse than me thinking everyone looks older! I haven't stepped inside a grocery store since 2020 when Covid restrictions started. I do Aldi pickup all the time. I have Dr frustration frequently! The only reason I can't relate to grandchildren is because I don't have any.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, you still rock!
    I am guilty of thinking I...can't possibly be as old as ... well, you fill in the blanks.

    However colds are nasty and hard to get over. I know Hubby took months to get over the one he had that sent him to the ER twice.
    Hubby had such a huge bursitis bump in his knee that they eventually had to surgically renew it. The rest and ice would have helped if my stubborn ol' coot would have listened to the doctors.

    So you are in the path of the eclipse. !!!
    Nice.
    We aren't but I think I may go somewhere special to photograph it anyway.

    Rest up and feel better.
    PS-- I have a good relationship with my doctor and the others at the clinic where I go, so sorry to hear you don't have that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Merry, I sure am sorry for your cold-sinus infection and your hubby's poor knee (ouch) but please continue to share, I feel a little less alone out there (as I deal with this chronic sinusitis). I just hope you recover quick, you've always got lots on your plate. And good for you for using Aldi's service, we could all use a helping hand once in awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find I'm falling apart faster these days and have aches and pains I didn't have before which is a real annoyance. We had the democratic caucus and we totally didn't know about it. I can't believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm exhausted just reading all of that. There are so many colds, influenza and yuck out there right now. We're still fighting sinus things that we've had since we had influenza. I sure hope you're both better very soon. So much is happening in the world too, just trying to keep up with the news is exhausting. Congrats to your daughter and her fiance in selling their homes so quickly, (I'm sure her's will sell too.) You have to be better for the wedding and house guests my friend. I'll be praying for you.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you! I couldn't get over the pictures from my 50th reunion. Who were those people!? The only ones who didn't age were the ones I'd kept up with. Ahhhh. Perhaps that's because they all stayed 18 in my head..? I hope you guys get to feeling better fast. I've aged 900 years this year! Gayla... Lol...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You need to rest and get well and with all that going on, I don't see how you can. Perhaps the kids can watch TV or play video games and let grandma rest this time. As for the Eclipse, we are having visitors also. And yes, a nice cup of tea always helps.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This Influenza A starts with a sore throat and I am still coughing after 23 days...I am real tired, and sleep sometimes is not possible because of the coughing. I saw one Dr she said to take over the counter cold meds. I see another Dr tomorrow for a re check. Getting older sucks, getting sick and taking a long time to feel better sucks too...and we had our flu shots. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you feel better... Thanks so much for always stopping by and commenting... When you get a chance, stop by to see my latest post... Joe is seriously ill and life has changed in an instant...
    Hugs,
    Deb
    Debbie-Dabble Blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for stopping by!! And thanks for your prayers and well wishes for Joe...The waiting for tests and procedures that will render some answers is the Killer...We are taking one day at a time...At least, I am getting his Blood sugars down with the insulin....Wishing you and your family a very Happy Easter!!!
    Hugs,
    Deb
    Debbie-Dabble Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, I am exhausted reading all that is happening at your home. I do the same when the kids are in school, and I pick them up. Always fix snacks and dinner. You have a lot more you do for than I do, and I am tired. I had bursitis in the hip months ago and got a shot. It got better but I have some flare up of arthritis in my knees. A cup of tea sounds good, I do like my coffee. Sometimes a stiff shot would be a lot better but nah. I hope your husband is much better now. It is painful for sure. What would your family do without you? You are a life saver.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We too feel our Age but don't necessarily look or act our Ages, so, often Younger people especially are Surprised to learn we're much Older than they thought we were. *LOL* I see people with very young Grandkids that look like MY Elders, and all our Grandkids are pretty much Grown and some are now Middle Aged and we have Great-Grands, so, we have similar thoughts when comparing ourselves to contemporaries. Also, some ACT way Older than seems reasonable... some people who were the Coolest in High School have become the worst possible Senior versions of themselves and it's just Sad to me, what happened to them? They are still the same person I would think, I don't feel like a different person just becoz I've Aged, so, I don't 'get it' that in your Spirit you'd be similar to how you've always been? How does Aging take that away from some people? Growing Old is mandatory but Growing Up is entirely Optional IMO. I fully plan to Grown Older Disgracefully. *Winks*

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry