Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Miss O'Merry's Potato Soup

It is  a sunny 45 degree day here in Ohio, but that nasty weatherman is forecasting a high of 25 degrees by Thursday. This makes today a perfect day to make soup. My daughter-in-law mentioned she had a hankering for Cream of Potato soup the other day. And since those who carry precious cargo must be pampered; I really did not have a choice!

I have "published" this recipe before in our 4-H County Cookbook. I wrote it just like I make it; a bag of potatoes, as much onions, celery and carrots as you can fit in a pan, etc. Because some of my children are getting cranky about my recipes, I decided to actually measure how I made this batch. We will see how that works out!
I peeled about 1/2 a bag of potatoes which would equal five pounds. I would have cubed them, or at least cut them into equal chunks, but I had them on the stove before I thought of it. This picture taking while you cook is a little confusing. I have new respect for the food network!

As the potatoes come to a boil, I put two sticks of my favorite food group (Budda!) in a pan to melt.
I purchased one package of celery to dice.



I measured out the amout I would usually add to the pan and, lo and behold, it is almost exactly 2 cups.  Next I cut up baby carrots into tiny carrot coins and measured out two cups to match. Did you notice the celery is in a Lazarus Department Store measuring cup? My mother and I used to love to shop at Lazarus and eat at the lunch counter on the top floor. Chicken Pot Pie- yum!
 
I always chop all the celery and all the carrots I have. I put the extra in ziplocks and put them in the freezer. The pre-cut vegetables are great to just throw into a stew, soup or casserole. I don't even defrost - just break up with my fingers and toss them in. They will not be crunchy, but are perfect for these dishes. You could make sticks from the extra and eat them with some kind of healthy dips like humus.This is what my oldest daughter does with her preschoolers. She is such a good mother to provide these healthy snacks. On the other hand, this soup is not healthy at all (and that's why it tastes soooo good.)
From a stalk of celery and a bag of the baby carrots, I got 2 cups each for my soup and these bags which contain 3/4 - 1 cup each. Just for those inquiring minds who measure things.
I ran one large and one medium whole onion, peeled and quartered through my Sunbeam Oscar that I have had since the 1980's. I have bought several small food processors since then, but nothing chops like my Oscar. I am going to google to see if they still make these. Mine is looking worse for wear on my new countertop.  This made (I am not kidding) exactly 1 1/2 cup. See, I don't need to measure. I have an internal measuring cup!
I added all the vegetables to my skillet of budda.
And put one MORE stick of butter on top.
Cover and let simmer until vegetables are soft and translucent.
Meanwhile those potatoes should be done. Remove from heat and drain.
Since someone did not have equal size or equal cooked  potatoes, I diced the less done and mashed the more done! I would estimate (did not measure) that I mashed about 1 1/2 cups in the bottom of the pan with about 1 cup of chicken broth.





I then added in one whole container of half and half. I would like to have used all whipping cream, but that might just make my heart explode!!  In the end, the pot was too full to use the whipping cream, so I am saving it for next week.
Wisk the half and half and mashed potatoes together until smooth. Don't worry if there are a few potato pieces; it is potato soup!
It really does make a thick creamy base.  Next we are pouring in the entire skillet of onion, butter, carrots, butter, celery and butter. It will be very liquidy (liquidee?)
Back to measuring, I diced six cups of cooked potatoes and added them to the mixture.
And this is what you will get! A pot of buttery, potato goodness!
At this point, if you have room in the pot, you can add milk or cream to the soup. My dear husband likes little broth and more contents, so that is how my soup usually ends up.
And here it is, a warm cream soup for a winter's day.
If you all lived closer, I would invite you over for a dish! Instead, I am going to send out an email (I may soon graduate to texting . . .) to all of my family members to stop by with a tupperware container. Have a great day!

9 comments:

  1. Well, I see you found something to do today!
    Soup looks real yummy.....too bad I've prepared
    dinner and have eaten already.
    Have fun,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay--you need to send me some (which will probably spill and get all over the place)! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ummmmm! I do love me some potato soup! I think soups keep me sane during the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a fabulous winter warmer. And congrats on the coming of a grandchild. Bless!!!
    Carolyn xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite soup! I must say yours is way richer than what I make-oh well don't think about the calories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Yum!How fantastic!Thanks for visiting me and your sweet comment-Denise

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect day for this, we have snow on the ground. Thank you for the wonderful recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh My!! I LOVE potato soup! This makes me want to make some. I have a baked potato soup that is luscious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry