Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Summer Wreath

Broken Arm Update: Physical Therapy is kicking me in the rear. I am back to sleeping in my recliner. I was up most of the night and my plan was to sleep all day until I was woken by a 5 year old. His dad had a curbside pickup at a home improvement store in the next town and there is no room in the pickup for a booster seat. I do have a greater range of motion and am starting to actually accomplish a few things. 

Earlier this spring, there was a great wreath going around social media having something to do with a bicycle. I lost the inspiration photo, but I did order some plastic bicycles from Ebay that arrived about three months later from China. 

We are, of course, social distancing and, of course, our local craft stores are not requiring masks. I had to make due with what I had. 
It took six spools of 9 yard ribbon with a slight wire edge.
Searched the internet and anywhere with curb side pickup for these. Thought I would have to use an old grapevine wreath and then found two in my sewing closet. (Two pictured)
Took another day to find a spool of floral wire, then I cut the ribbon and wound wire around the loops. 
I then wired the loops to the frame using some kind of pattern that I lost track of. I am not sure this was the easiest method of doing this. 

But it looks better from the front. Kinda

Then I wired my Chinese plastic bike to the front. 
Unfortunately the colors don't really pop on the door. The bicycle was totally lost in the door color, so I ended up backing it with a white foam paper plate for now.  I have two bicycles left and one more frame, so I may offer this to my daughter who has a white front door and try to come up with some ribbon colors that contrast more with the door. I think if I fill in the middle with a contrasting color of ribbon loops, the bicycle will still show. 

But now I have to move on to the next project with a six day deadline. My youngest grandson will turn one year old on the Fourth of July and mom needs a red, white and blue fabric banner for his one year photo shoot. Fortunately I had practically a shelf of fabric in these colors in the sewing closet so off to fabric cutting I go! 

4 comments:

  1. Cute! I like it! Sometimes a good craft stash is a good thing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darling wreath but how are you doing all that with a broken arm? You are such a great Mom and grandmom! Your family is very fortunate to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that you are getting better as far as your arm is concerned...PT does kick butt but it is worth it...I still do my stationary bike for my knee at least 5 times a week. I really love this cute wreath!! Too bad your door isn't black because it would really pop against a dark color but the wreath itself is darling...Thanks for the inspiration as I have the same frames and lots of ribbon!! Thanks too for stopping by all the time and for always leaving a nice comment!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me again!! Thanks so much for stopping by again!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry