Saturday, October 31, 2020

Spooky Social Distancing with My Pod

Let me start with this adorable granddaughter posing in late October with the hanging basket I put in my bicycle basket every spring. This year's growth is stupendous and has survived at least one if not two frosts already. In the spirit of total honesty, she did not like the bell bottoms or the hair ribbon and discarded them as soon as I took the photo. 

I started hosting Spooky Suppers for my family decades ago.  I was much younger and had a lot more energy. I seem to remember the first year after we built our garage I invited the whole neighborhood (like 30 kids) to supper before our city's trick or treat. We turned the playhouse into a haunted house and served spooky food. These were the days before digital cameras or phones with cameras. I probably didn't even have film in the camera we did have, so no pictures. Every once in a while I come across the flyer I hand drew and had photocopied. 
My youngest grandson turned two years old the Saturday before Halloween and his parents hosted immediate family for a special party. My talented daughter-in-law really outdid herself with all the spooky food. This guacamole was delicious as well as a big hit with the five and seven year olds! 
I contributed some spider deviled eggs which took me a ridiculous amount of time to make. Between the broken arm in March and previous hand issues, I think I need to rethink some of the things I used to do and try lower my expectations of myself. 
She made this nifty pasta salad by adding some food coloring to cooked pasta and cutting the jack o lanterns out of cucumbers. This idea is a keeper!
These adorable spiders are premade peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with licorice legs. So cute! The kids loved them, while the adults ate mummy hotdogs and chili. 
She even made and decorated these cupcakes all by herself!!! - while working full time as a virtual first grade teacher with 60 students and parenting three children aged 6 and under. She is wonder woman. 
The party guests were grandparents, parents, and the grandchildren in our "pod", the local kids for whom I provide daycare. I was going for "hippy" but look more like "Carol Bascom". 
My other daughter-in-law (I am doubly blessed) hosted the pod for dinner on Halloween night. I saw something similar to this pie on King Arthur Flour's Instagram (I think). Again, with total honesty, I used readymade pie crust, instead of making my own. 
I used the scraps of pie crust to make these mummy tarts. The recipe was definitely from King Arthur Flour. 
After the trauma of spider deviled eggs, I added some red food coloring and made pumpkins. I did try to find green onions for more realistic stems, but they seem to be the new shortage? I went to two grocery stores (don't tell my husband) and ended up with green olives. 
My youngest daughter made this delicious taco dip. She did make a black olive spider. 
She even arranged the cheese slices as a pumpkin face. 

Somehow I did not get any photos of the rest of the food - sandwiches, vegetables including these new bite sized mini cucumbers which I am in love with (WHY can't I go shopping?) and a layered pumpkin cake which was amazing. 

And here are my out-of-town grandchildren who I miss terribly. They dressed as Corona Virus and the CDC. Their parents are both healthcare workers and, trust me, would dress them as CDC workers 24/7 if they could. 

Their neighborhood held a safe trick or treat by placing tables in driveways with treats spread out. Children came and chose a treat from the table. 

My son's neighborhood was overly creative with tubes from windows dropping candy and one house where they tied plastic soldiers with parachutes to the candy bars and blew them off the roof with a leaf blower. 

Some people kept the kids home and had candy hunts (like Easter Egg hunts). My  goddaughter did this by hiding the candy, turning off the lights and giving her children flashlights to search.  

We decided to skip the treating this year. We were not comfortable with groups of people visiting our porch. 

Happy Halloween!!!! 











5 comments:

  1. Wow! Such a lot of imagination! Wonderful! Happy Sunday!💖

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Unbelievable what you ladies could do even without the old-style grocery shopping. Everything looks great. Give my congrats to all the food artists. I love your hippie costume. I used to dress just like that for real some 55 years ago :-) My favorite photos, though, are the coronavirus costumes. That made me smile in the middle of all this stress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun to see all the creative food!! It all looks yummy! Fun costumes...yes lets think hippie not Carol:0 Thanks for sharing some creative ways to dispense treats...staying safe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an inventive bunch you have in your family. It sounds like the neighbors are pretty creative too. The food all looks amazing and delicious too.
    The RV park had a social distanced get together for the kids from 4 to 6 and then a parade around the park where we all had candy on tables at the ends of our sites. It was fun.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss Merry,
    I am totally impressed with all that spooky looking food creations!! WOWZA!! And I love that you dressed up for Halloween!! So cool!! Thanks so much for stopping by again...we had rain, then a dusting of snow...26 degrees...so my flowers bit the dust but this was the longest that they ever lasted!!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry