Sunday, May 23, 2021

Flowers!

 At this time last year I was recovering from a displaced spiral fracture of the left humerus. I was sitting in a chair with a sling and ice packs with my arm carefully balanced on pillows. Our PT department was closed and by the time I was able to go (I think that was June) I also had a frozen shoulder and tennis elbow for good measure. My main goal was to dress myself and my dream goal was to be able to put on and take off a bra by myself. As I would walk to and from the car for doctor's appointments, I would go by my weed infested empty flower beds. 

I never thought I would be able to plant flowers again - but a year later - I did!

Our shopping trip started on a Friday about a week and a half before my mother always said you should plant (Mother's Day) and almost a month before my gramma said it was safe (Memorial Day). They were right as the following week we had several days of frost and we were shuffling flats and pots in and out of the garage for safety. 

You know it's the right greenhouse when you see the underpants hanging over the driveway. Could it be any cuter? 

We have a large number of Amish farms near the southern edge of our county and there are several greenhouses to choose from. Everyone has a favorite.  We were able to squeeze 5 sunflowers, 8 flats, 17 pots, 5 hanging baskets, 1 five year old and 2 grown women in the car for the ride home. I had to make a second trip for two tomato plants and two more planters. 

My porch has four hooks and it works out well for Mother's Day. My youngest daughter got me one of the pink flowered baskets and my son and daughter in law got me the two pink geranium baskets. My husband built me a porch just for perfect for hanging baskets. 

After a few attempts in previous years at planting it myself, I found it was easier just to buy ONE MORE hanging basket and transfer it to the burlap lined bicycle basket. 

I just love it. Especially with the yellow day lilies behind it. I am not sure where I got these lilies, but they flower multiple times over spring, summer and fall. 

I planted petunias, zinnias, and dianthus in different pinks all over the foundation and beds.  I planted double the amounts of those in two sizes of marigolds. Last year you could not find any mums in the fall and I am hoping for lots of fall color in September. 


I know they don't look like much, but Mr Merry has made a few trips to Menards for Miracle Grow and has been watering like crazy. Luckily tonight Mother Nature has finally taken over and we got a nice rain tonight.   

Last year I bought Mr Merry a potted tomato plant with a cage, almost as a joke. We ended up having a tomato or two a day from mid June until the end of August. This year I bought him two plants hoping for even more. Instead of leaving them in pots, he decided to plant them in our horrible clay soil so I am a little nervous about the crop. 


This path leads to my secret fairy garden! I have to dig out the supplies for this project. 


And here are some random pictures of my baskets and stuff. I am super happy with everything this year! 






We are patiently waiting for my day lily day! All those clumps of leaves are giant orange "ditch" lilies that get about 4 to 5 feet tall. I collected them from ditches about four decades ago when my mother and I would pack our shovels and my kids and hit the country roads. It is my understanding that there are hefty fines for that behavior these days. 

And, in the interest of total honesty, I do have one of those nifty kneelers with the tall handles that I use to plant. It works like a dream. 


9 comments:

  1. You have such beautiful flowrs and beds. Everything looks so happy to be there. Colorful and bright. Take care and enoy your beautiful gardens.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your front porch is, like you said, perfect for hanging baskets and it looks beautiful. I'm so glad that you're well and that you can plant again this year. As we get older we do have physical challenges, you hang in there girlfriend and enjoy your garden. It is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the porch of my dreams complete with white rocking chairs. Oh, I wish I could come and sit and rock with you and enjoy all of the beauty around your home. Your gorgeous baskets and pots of flowers make mine look pathetic! Ha!
    Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog. I'm so glad we know each other.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you recovered and are able to garden again. You have a lovely yard. The bike adds a pretty touch and those hanging baskets are absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such pretty baskets and you have the perfect spots to show them off! No planting here...maybe this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your yard is gorgeous! I've never seen such beautiful and full flowering baskets. I lveo the bicycle with the basket of flowers. I wish I could have flower beds but there is Bermuda grass here and it roots underground and comes up under everything even a cement walk. It's a noxious weed and this is what they plant for grass here...a gardener's nightmare. Your porch is so pretty! You all did a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miss Merry,
    I am so thrilled to hear that you were able to plant your own flowers this year... It is amazing what time does to heal broken bones and other things, isn't it?? I LOVE those hanging baskets!!! They are gorgeous and i LOVE the color combinations!! So pretty!!LOVE that bike too and that was smart to buy a basket and plant it in the bike one!! Good thinking!! Also adore your porch and with those hanging baskets, it looks like a little slice of heaven!! Stunning! I hope you are enjoying your Memorial Day weekend!! It is in the low 50's here and raining since Friday... It is supposed to be better tomorrow with temps. around 70 and no more rain..I think we have gotten close to 2 inches which is good for the garden though.....Thanks so much for always visiting!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your flowers are absolutely gorgeous! Isn't frozen shoulder the worst!?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous Flowers! I love the look of your stacked stone flower beds. Everything so green and healthy looking.
    I have been watching vlogs of jack barnwell and his designs on Mackinac island. The gardens he takes care of for the old homes with the stacked rock is just so pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry