Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Corn and Maters

I live in a little town, known in my rural county as the Big Town. We live out off the West side of Main Street. When we bought our little house in 1979, we were the second to the last street in town. And we lived halfway down our street. Lots of "new" houses joined us over the years. We know live almost at the top of our street, LOL. 

There used to be a farm at the end of our street and farm fields behind our backyard. Nowadays we get in the car and drive almost a whole mile to find a farm stand. The farm stands we prefer are at the end of a driveway or maybe up by the barn and usually have a box or tin with a slit to put your money. 

This has been a very good year for sweet corn in Northern Ohio.  The ears are plentiful and flavorful and don't have any missing niblets. We have tried corn from at least three or four farms and each one has been as good as the next. Most have picked corn that morning and you can't get fresher than that. 

As a joke, I bought Mr Merry a potted tomato plant from an Amish farm last year. It was amazingly prolific and came with some green tomatoes growing on it - in May!! We had fresh tomatoes all summer! This year I bought two potted tomato plants and we are not only eating tomatoes every meal, but sharing with our neighbors, too! 

After several hand surgeries and the smushed arm last year - I don't can or even freeze much anymore. But we still like to eat our fill. Here is what I have been up to in the kitchen. 


Grilled Steak, Sweet Corn, Roasted Tomatoes with Cheese


Pork Chop, Sweet Corn, Grilled Tomatoes


Pot Roast, Sweet Corn, Tomatoes, Mashed Potatoes


Spaghetti, Sweet Corn, Tomatoes

Chicken, Macaroni Salad, Tomatoes . . . .Wait - without Sweet Corn in August, can we even call ourselves Ohioans?  

Don't worry, we made a run the next morning for another dozen. Luckily I can split the ears with a daughter or daughter in law so we can keep eating fresh! 

My teacher daughters and daughter in laws are all back to school. We will have seven grandchildren here all day tomorrow. Thursday and Friday we go down to six when my youngest granddaughter goes to her first day of kindergarten. Monday is a big day when FOUR more go back to two different schools. We will only have one two-year-old on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays and then on Thursday and Friday we will add his two-year-old cousin! It's almost MY vacation time. 

6 comments:

  1. School time! Enjoy the school year! We are having sweet corn and tomatoes nearly every meal too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks so good!! Especially the chicken and macaroni salad! I love sweet corn but I have to eat it with medication and in moderation.... We usually get it from the Amish Farmer who sets up stand every Friday at the Valley Mart/Gas Station down the road from us...And that is how my dad used to be with tomatoes...He would plant 40 plants and supply the whole town , I think!! My Mother would can tons of jars of tomatoes....Thanks so much for visiting!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks SO good. We’re in Spokane, Dennis working and I’m visiting. I’m loving it.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will take all above! All looks so good and my kind of food! While in Cape Charles, there were several cars with Ohio license plates. My Gr Grandparents on Moms side were from Ohio and moved to Va. mom said for their health. Their last name of Reed. Mom said her Grandma did not like Va and missed Ohio. They ended up in Chase city Va. where mom was born.
    I picked some corn like the kind you have pictured a couple weeks ago and the lady told me it was called Serendipity corn. I like the name. I love spaghetti and I must have some tomorrow with corn. Yumm. Happy Week end, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for stopping by!! I enjoy all your comment and the stories that you pass on to me!! Keep them coming as they brighten my day!! Stay safe, healthy and happy, my friend!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your meals featuring corn look delicious. I am eating a lot of corn on the cob and a lot of cherries, now they are in season.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry