Friday, September 20, 2024

One Step Back

I woke up one morning and went to my Facebook memories.  Facebook kindly reminded me about the last time I climbed a ladder and tried to dust the top shelves of the bookcase my husband built for me in the addition. My ladder wasn't quite high enough and I was standing on the tippy top with one foot and balancing (possibly in midair) with the other foot and fell backwards into a box of picture frames (another project at the time). 

This was many many years ago and probably the last time I cleaned the top shelf of the bookcase. I decided to move those books down (since they deserved to be dusted) and replaced the books with my collection of 1950's Samsonite luggage.  This required that I go through the bottom shelves, which are all two books deep, and make some choices. 

I did fill several boxes with donations and drove to all the "Little Libraries" sprinkled around our community. 

Today was day two of our Friends of the Library book sale and I snuck over while on my third trip to the grocery store this week. I misread the ad and thought it said fill a library tote for $5. Tonight I reread the ad and it said: 20 books for $5.  I counted and I only had 20 books. They felt much heavier than 20 as I staggered out of the sale. 


This collection of "Bakehouse Mysteries" was waiting for me on the first table. I discovered a fifth book in the series when unpacking my bag. 
I used to read Janet Dailey books in the late 70's and early 80's as I sat up at night nursing babies. I bought these five for sentimental sake and will donate them to a little library when I finish them or decide not to read them. 


Top row middle is another Bakehouse Mystery and I can't wait to read Murder with Cucumber Sandwiches with a cup of tea. 


The final five. I'm sorry about the glare. I am too embarrassed to tell my husband I sorted and donated all those books just to purchase a bag of 20 more. I couldn't choose my lighting without waking him, LOL. I am trying to decide if I read The Harvey Girls and possibly donated this copy or if I wanted to read The Harvey Girls and was looking for it. I wanted to get in and out before I purchased a second bag of books so in it went without too much thought. 

Hopefully I won't fall in love with too many titles and decide to keep them. I think I donated over 200 books and I really can't see much of a difference in the shelves. 

Meanwhile I will be traveling one hour and forty five minutes to go sit on metal bleachers for another football game next weekend. My lovely granddaughter was voted as the freshman princess for homecoming! This was a very welcome piece of good news. Last week a senior boy had invited her as his date. After a few days of teasing by his friends since he had invited a freshman, he rescinded the offer.  She was disappointed but has a great girlfriend group who decided to all chip in for a limo and go to the dance together.  I know she will have a much better time with her girl squad! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments. Sometimes it takes me a hot minute to authorize comments due to grandchildren commitments. I apologize but I can't let those scammers get the upper hand!

Miss Merry