Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Done with my Pity Party

Thank you for the kind words on my last post. Things are looking up so far.  My daugher and her toddlers will leave quarantine in 2 days. She will be headed back to her crowded classroom and my grandbabies will come back to us during the day.  They did not develop any symptoms from the exposure to the co-teacher who was "positive with symptoms" and were monitored by telephone by her county's health department for 14 days. Due to 35 teachers in her district either ill with Covid or quarantining at home, she has been providing video lessons daily in math and science as well as creating worksheets she emails to the school for distribution. Somehow she still had to use her sick days for this (despite a teacher's union which somehow did not include procedures during a global pandemic) but is hoping to have them reimbursed with an application to the Cares Act. (I have no idea what all that means). 

November 2019: We attended my nieces wedding at a plantation
in New Orleans. 

After a rough few days, my strong and healthy young son who is a police officer is doing really well and will return to work next week. His wife and three preschoolers managed to put up 3-4 Christmas trees already despite her district moving her virtual teaching to her home during the duration. 

You may remember I spent the first months of the pandemic when we did not have our grandchildren sitting in a chair. I fell in my kitchen in early March and sustained a displaced spiral fracture of the humerus which I do not recommend to anyone. Between surgery, recovery and rehab, it was summer before I was functional. 

 Noveember 2019: Coffee and Beignets at Cafe du Monde
in the French Quarter


This time I have been taking advantage of the alone time.  My living room has a huge built in bookcase (thank you dear husband for fulfilling my dreams) where I basically move piles higher and higher out of reach of my 16 month old grandson. We were surrounded by mountains of paper and stuff. I have sorted 90% of the piles and it is a new room!

I also went through our 18 toys boxes (two module units of nine) and disposed of broken and outgrown toys.  I really think we might have room for a Christmas Tree.  

Since we can't celebrate Thanksgiving as a family, I am planning a romantic dinner for two. Or perhaps ordering pizza on Wednesday and eating leftovers on Thursday. We will see what happens. Either way I'm not decorating for Thanksgiving or getting out my Autumn Dishes.  We are going straight to Christmas. 

November 2019: Some people go to Bourbon Street to drink. '
Others find a hidden book store.

I have already started replacing artwork on my walls and hung the stockings. I have decided to do red and green in my living room and a pink Christmas in the dining room.  Since I won't need all the leaves in the table since no one can come, I am going to put up the pink tree I bought at least ten years ago and have only used once. 

As I decorate, I will be sharing more photos!  And I am looking forward to seeing your ideas, too.  I already have inspiration for next year when I am planning a peppermint kitchen (Thanks, Debbie at https://adebbie-dabblechristmas.blogspot.com/ ! 
November 2019: St Louis Cemetary, New Orleans

P.S.  Prayers for all those suffering with this horrible disease right now.  I just got word this morning that a former co-workers husband is in ICU with Covid pneumonia. My very best friend since junior high's husband had open heart surgery on Monday. The hospital closed today (Wednesday) to all visitors so she will be relying on phone chats. The staff is being so accomodating despite working 60-80 weeks with staff shortages due to infections in our hard hit area. 

9 comments:

  1. I would like to apologize for the odd font size changes. I am not sure what Blogger did and it won't let me go back and edit. I will try again this evening. This is my first problem with the new Blogger. Now I understand your frustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book store in New Orleans looks like a treasure I would like to explore, and the wedding photo shows a beautiful event and location. That is good news you are healing from the spiral fracture, an injury not recommended I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Merry!!
    Thanks so much for the Shout Out about my Kitchen!! Even though I decorate every room of the house, I think the Kitchen is my favorite...It just reminds me of the Kitchen that Mrs. Claus would have and it makes me smile every time I am in it...Will be doing more blog posts on it soon...
    Thanks so much for taking the time to visit!! I really appreciate your kind words!!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogger woes. No need to apoligize Merry, we all understand. I enjoyed seeing your photos of last November. It's quite a change isn't it? As you know, I've already put out my Christmas/winter decorations. It makes me feel much, much better to see my cheery snowmen smiling at me. Especially Olaf! I adore Olaf!
    I'm so glad your daughter hasn't become sick and that your son is better. Dennis just called from work and his secretary's daughters wedding is postponed. It was supposed to be this Saturday with just immediate family. (Parents, siblings, no children.) Her fiances Mom has COVID and is in the hospital very ill. She never went anywhere and wore a mask even outside walking. But...her husband works in a hospital. Although he was never sick they believe he was asymptomatic and brought it home to her. This is really scary isn't it?
    Take care and stay safe my friend.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we all have down days worrying about those we love and care for.
    Not that it helps that much...but I do understand. We will be alone for Thanksgiving also...we must stay safe:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving!!
    Thanks so much for hosting!
    Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please disregard my last post! I had several blogs opened at once and got confused!! Thanks so much for stopping by and for all your kind words!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!! Happy Thanksgiving Day!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your decorations sound beautiful. I hope the muse is as contagious as you know what... I am exhausted! lol... I have so many friends and family with this and all are doing better. I love that Book Store! Waiting to see the updates on your sweet pink decor...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miss Merry,
    Thanks so much for stopping by! I loved the story about your winning lottery ticket...Hope you had a good weekend!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry