Monday, February 7, 2022

So how is that organization project coming?

If you can remember WAY back to my last post, I said that, instead of actually packing up my Christmas decorations, I was ordering ornament boxes from Amazon to repack them. I found some great boxes at a substantial discount and then they had a coupon to half that price that could be used with the discount. I could order multiples as long as I ordered different colors. Then Mother Nature blessed us with an ice storm and over a foot of snow that closed schools last Thursday and Friday with my grandchildren in their own homes! This gave me a four day child-free window. Except Sunday their sports activities resumed so I was cut down to three. 

The first box arrived and I was very impressed and inspired. Along the way, I decided to change my storage around, too. When we built the addition, Mr Merry build a wall of bookshelves for me with cupboards (actually a series of premade sink bases) underneath. Some odd Christmas stuff and lots of stuff that is just odd is stored there now. I pulled everything out from the cupboards, packed the Christmas decorations that were stored in the cupboards and under the bed in my guest room in my new boxes and by gosh, they all fit in those cupboards. 

When I saw where this was going, I visited Amazon and ordered the same boxes in a different style to fit under the bed. I have three closets in the guest room (we had three boys and my husband built three separate closets with doors after the open concept I used when they were toddlers did not work for pre-teens and teens). One closet is completely fabric and unfinished quilts; the other two are crammed with different holidays.  

My master plan was to move those holidays into the new under bed boxes and free up a closet! But first I had to take down my Christmas Village. It lives in three huge plastic containers in our storage shed. One of the containers had cracked on the edge and the lid was not tight anymore. I decided to move an even more huge container from a closet in my secret room of so much stuff that held my rather excessive Raggedy Ann and Andy collection. I packed what i thought were all the dolls in the first under bed container and packed up the Christmas Village using their former home. 

Then I started to empty the first holiday closet in the guest room. The sizes of the decorations were not really going to fit in the underbed boxes. And I discovered another box of Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls.  SO

I ordered more boxes - these are double the size of the ornament boxes and I am thinking the other holiday decorations should fit inside. I can restack them in the closet and hopefully it will consolidate things into a manageable level.  Unfortunately, they won't be here until later this week, arriving on an afternoon when my two and three year olds will be here. 

You may remember I already took everything out of that closet. So now I have many, many piles including breakable objects, waiting on boxes. I am trying to tell myself that I won't have to pack them back into the closet until the new boxes come, but I am pretty sure that I will be doing that later this evening. 

I swear my greatest talent is turning any small project into a larger project into a huge project. 

On a happier note. We had ordered a 1/4 steer for our freezer that was going to be picked up in mid December. We had been emptying the freezer, but unfortunately our farmers accidentally sold it out from under us. I don't know why she is so busy with a newborn, two toddlers and a full time job off the farm as a registered nurse on the surgical floor. But there you go. She promised me one in late March or April.  BUT, someone who was purchasing a quarter in January backed out and we lucked into an earlier delivery! (by delivery, we drive out to the country butchers and pick it up, LOL). A quarter lasts us almost a year and I really like having good quality meat just outside the kitchen door. This time we had them make 50 pounds of the ground beef into packages of four quarter pound beef patties. This is enough for a super fast dinner one night and lunch the next day.  Don't worry about the ground beef though, two weeks before she called I won a silent auction for 20 pounds of ground beef being raffled for a virtual fundraiser for the junior prom in a nearby village. We are set to at least next fall, if not longer, on beef, even though we eat all meals at home. We haven't been a restaurant since, well, you know. 

Yesterday one of my former Sunday School students who is now a Vocational Agriculture teacher posted on facebook that his FFA is raffling 1/2 hogs fully processed. So now I have four tickets in hand for that hog, too (I am not sure what is exactly going to fit in the freezer at this point). I do have five children with families I can share with, so we will be all set should I actually hold the winning ticket. 

Hope you all are staying warm and safe. 

4 comments:

  1. What a great post! I smiled all through your reorganizing because it does sound a LOT like me. :-) Isn't it such a great feeling though when everything is done and put away? I know you haven't quite reached that point, but you're getting there.
    And I was VERY interested to hear about your meat purchase. We've been talking about doing the same thing, we just have to find a place to buy it. Now that we're in the midwest, it should be a bit easier and we do know some people here we can ask. We just need to do some freezer emptying ourselves.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those boxes are awesome, I bought storage containers 6 yrs ago when we remodeled and I stored stuff out in an old shed. The items have survived, but since I haven't missed those stored items, I am thinking they can go away!
    My Xmas stuff fits in two boxes, but I have a tiny cottage. I love your decorations, they are so beautiful!

    When we sold our Dexter cattle, we kept back one and had him butchered. I gave away as much as I could and we are still eating his lean ground beef. He was old so we had most of the beef ground up.
    Otherwise, once a month I go to our local guy and buy a boxful of meats. So much nicer to have your freezer full isn't it?
    1/2 a hog would be a LOT! But you feed more than just two most of the time, right?

    Have a greeeeattt day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Home grown beef! Good for you! Hope you get all your boxes and get organized! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This a story of when one thing leads to another which always seems to happen....Thanks so much for stopping by all the time !! I enjoy your visits!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry