Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Galentine's Day

I hope everyone had a special Valentine's Day!  I am blessed to be married to my wonderful husband. He is a great guy who would do anything for anyone, an outstanding father and even more outstanding grandfather. But romantic, he is not. 

He is great at filling my gas tank, checking on my tires, household repairs, setting up electronics and general maintenance around here. And always supportive of any ridiculous projects I come up with. So I just buy my own chocolate and flowers (Aldi's had tulips this year!)

Instead of Valentine's Day, I celebrate Galentine's Day. I started this with door drops to neighbors during Covid and still have special people in my life that needed to be appreciated. Sadly Miss Peggy who lived next door to me for the past 44 years passed away before Christmas. And one of my neighbors moved south. This year I honored my longtime neighbor/friend, my caregiving neighbor/church friend whose husband has been struggling with strokes, one daughter and two daughter-in-laws and a co-gramma who lost her husband a few short weeks ago. 

Dollar Tree, here I came. 


I bought the large Valentine "Buckets" and some small cups and pails for the candy! My theme is pink with a little red.  Unfortunately the buckets were only large enough for desserts. 


In addition to the pail and cup, I made heart shaped brownies and banana bread. That pretty much filled the bucket. 

I decided to put items that needed refrigerated in containers. So here is a container in a container. 


The inside container. 

Strawberry, blueberries, and petit fours! 


The sandwich container. 

Clockwise, chicken breast on Italian bread with garlic aioli, raisin bread with cream cheese and powdered sugar, ham, swiss and mustard on a Hawaiian roll, and egg salad on a croissant. 


I used the plates as lids and put the containers in a Valentine bag. 

Myself, I celebrated Galentine's Day in person with two other friends. We went out for coffee and talked for over four hours! 

And here is one of my favorite wedding pictures. It is my grandfather and his two wives. What? Well, the bride in the picture is my paternal grandmother, Mary and the attendants are her brother and sister-in-law.  My great uncle died the year before I was born and my grandmother died the year after I was born. My grandfather then married his sister-in-law. Got all that? 







9 comments:

  1. I'm sure the recipients very much appreciated the thought and attention you put into your gift giving. Families certainly have interesting histories and stories to tell, that's for sure. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is amazing! You certainly would be a very cherished friend if you were in my neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dennis is much like your husband. We rarely exchange cards, flowers or gifts. But, by doing the things you mentioned above, he shows me his love and devotion every day of the year. We don't need a Valentine's Day to know how much we love each other. :-)
    I absolutely love your Galentine's Day gifts. Each of them shows so much love and creativity. I would have never thought of that.
    I hope you're having a lovely day today. We're expecting snow later today but most storms have passed us by this winter so we'll see what happens in the end.
    Many blessings and love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful that you made so many peoples Valentines Day special! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Merry, Google won't let me comment for some reason but I snuck in here as a reply to Far Side....lol! You are such a generous and giving friend! What an amazing gift you gave to your gal pals! They are so fortunate to have you as a friend. Happy Galentine's Day!

      Delete
  5. I have entered 3 comments so far....suffice it to say you are a wonderful and generous friend! I wish you a very happy Galentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Galantine's Day - great idea! I'm sure you derive more pleasure from the giving, than those who receive your gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for all your visits and sweet comments... And thanks fro your comment on my weight loss...It has not been easy but I am pushing on... Love how you treated some special women in your life for Valentine's Day!! What a great idea!!! We did not celebrate it again this year but I think next year, we should at least do a nice dinner or something....Joe would love to go all out and spend all kind of money but me, Miss Practical, nipped that in the bud especially now that we are retired and he is no longer working part time..Love the story of your grandfather and his wives...My post today has a few vintage pictures in it...I hope you have a great weekend!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know galentine' s Day . I think your idea of giving gifts to the neighbors is very nice, especially those who have more difficulty going out. Congratulations on the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry