Sunday, August 13, 2023

Mimi Camp Finale 2023

I am finally getting to the final Mimi Camp post.  This day was inspired by two new-to-me favorite reality shows of mine that I found on the Tubi tv app. It is called "Portrait Artist of the Year" and "Landscape Artist of the Year".  I came up with the concept at the last minute, made one shopping trip before camp and - the kids enjoyed it as much or more than I did. 


Grampa graciously agreed to be our model for Portrait Artist of the Year. Our easels were tv tray tables with Dollar Tree plate holders. Artists could chose flat canvas boards or stretched canvas in various sizes. Everyone had a plastic palette and could request acrylic paint colors. 


My youngest granddaughter in progress. 


Finished portrait "Grampa in a Red Chair"


Sebastian aged 8. 


Leo aged 4


Drew aged 10


Oliver in progress


Oliver ended with a scenic background


Louis, aged four, paid great attention to detail. You can see the red chair, blue shirt and jeans and the fact that grampa was wearing white socks. He later painted over them with brown for grampa's boots. 


My oldest granddaughter truly is the Portrait Artist of the Year. 


And my other eight year old veered into Michael Jordan. 

We had a special lunch and then headed out to a local park for "Landscape Artist of the Year". 


The littles were over art competition which is why I selected a park with a playground. 



My bigs were on top of the hill overlooking the lake. I will share their art work with no commentary, except to explain what looked like a dinosaur to me. It is the water tower. There is also a boat with fishermen in one picture. 







My middles were down by the playground. 





The painting above includes the colorful playground equipment. 

This is one of my most favorite Mimi Camp activities ever. All of the children enjoyed it as much as I did. I have taken down all the art work in my house and replaced it with these precious artworks.  And some of the kids have requested another painting day in the future.  

Despite covering my carpet with plastic tablecloths, a few palettes were flipped and the paint splattered in gaps of the tablecloths. And stained the carpet in one large blotch and two smaller ones. And it doesn't bother me at all. Every time I walk in the room (because they are in the middle of the carpet and I can't cover them) I smile. 

8 comments:

  1. What a fun event! You have some real artists!! I enjoyed seeing all the artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS!!!!!! You are indeed Grandmother of the year! That was a brilliant idea. I wish I had the imagination to plan things like this like you do. I'll never forget your cruise. It was wonderful.
    The memories that those kids are all making about you and with each other will last them their entire lives. Perfect Grandma. :-) You are such a blessing.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Letting kids express themselves this way is indeed incredible! I recall on rainy 'camp' days we hiked and then got out paper and pencils and drew whatever. Those will be cherished memories!
    I elect you to Grandma of the Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great memories you are making for the kids and yourself. And, who know, these mini painting camps could be inspiring a life-long appreciation for the arts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!! All I can say is that you have the patience of a Saint...Doing this with such a wide variety of ages would fray my nerves! You do have a few great artists in the bunch, that is for sure!! I would have had them do the painting outside on both occasions or in the garage!!! LOL!! I would have had a stroke with all that painting going on inside the house!! Great memories though for all involved, I am sure!! Thanks so much for all your visits!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome thing to do. Looks like the kids had a great time. Sorry about the carpet though.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  7. This had to be fun! I see some mighty fine paintings. Such creative juices flowing. My youngest grands are growing up so fast. If they want to paint, draw or glue I do encourage them to do so. It's a happy time and if it makes a mess which it always does, that's o.k. will either clean up or if not, I just call it art, no matter where it is. You are a fun Grandmother and grandchildren will always have fond memories of these times.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry