Sunday, August 27, 2023

My Dream Laundry Room

How do you know you are really old? When you have a dream laundry room!  I dreamed up my new laundry room many, many years ago. It took many steps to get here. Remember I have lived in my house for 44 years and I have been planning changes since the day we moved in. Creating a laundry room started with my husband constructing our 500 sq ft addition which moved the living room and created a dining room. Then cutting my kitchen by one third (and my husband completely remodeling the kitchen) to create the space for the new laundry room.

I created this idea board for the new laundry room about eleven years ago. We don't move quickly around here. My parents passed away and the empty, drywalled space worked well as a storage space for the many boxes I took way too long to go through. Then, you know, covid and I filled it with shelves and created a pandemic pantry/small grocery store. To finish the laundry room, I have had to move those shelves all over my house and it is hide and seek to find groceries and supplies.

As you will see, there were a lot of changes along the way. The appliances remained the same. But I soon realized there is no way a short person can reach a cupboard over a very deep front loading washing machine.  I was also concerned that the tall cupboard would block the doorway and make the room feel smaller. My husband constructed shelves along the top of my enclosed porch for my blue canning jar collection and I needed more grocery space. 

When I got home from Michigan, this was happening. 

I was already trying out paint colors. 


Grampa and assistant finished the soffit. 


The painting assistant did a great job on the wall behind the appliances. I decided to do just one wall "cupcake pink" and my husband painted the other two wall and ceiling a bright white. 


I think the arm on the right is putting his two cents in on how it is going to look. Since I am not privy to the contractor's time table, I was glad I was caught up on laundry when he disconnected the appliances and moved them. 



I went with open shelving so the room wouldn't seem so small. We measured shelf height by my elaborate drawings of what would go on what shelf and how high a short person can reach. I can reach the clothes baskets because they stick out far enough on the 20 inch shelf for me to grab. My roasters and other rarely used items will be on the top shelf. 


It's hard to believe from the short photographer perspective, but the top shelf on the right can hold rolls of paper towels. There is a hanging rack on the edge of the bottom shelf. 


Proving I can put paper towels on the top shelf on the right. It is a little high for me, but hubby is the one who replaces paper towel rolls so it works just fine. I also have cute baskets marked "beach towels" "sun screen" "bug spray" and room for other miscellaneous items. 


I think the color is closer here. It is more of a pink than an orange.  I took lots of pictures like this as I will soon be cluttering it up with small appliances, grocery and paper items and all kinds of treasures of a kitchen nature that I have scattered all over my house. Oh, and laundry items, too.

I thought we bought at least triple the brackets needed for supporting the shelves, but it turned out we used them all to make sure the shelves are supported since I tend to overload. We also placed extra of the vertical (things) that are screwed into every stud. 

I am absolutely over the moon.  I have dreamed about this laundry room for a long time and it matches what was in my mind perfectly. I am so happy!  

Next up is the total remodel of our ONE bathroom and changing the tub/shower to a walk in shower. We are also putting in a higher, old person commode, replacing the basin and cabinet and another project I am still working on. When we remodeled the bathroom in the 70's, we eyeballed a built in shelving unit with a built in cabinet and it is not standard size. We would like to purchase a standard size cabinet to replace it but I'm not sure that can happen. I'm still measuring, but the project can start without it.  

THEN the former washer/dryer space is going to become our new half bath.  Whew. 

10 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks amazing! Look at all that storage! I need to get busy this fall and reorganize everything in our tiny basement and get shelving put up, moving totes to find stuff stinks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Always a good feeling when what you envisioned comes to fruition. Nice to have a handy hubby and cute little assistants, too. Storage space is much needed and you've done a good job of utilizing what would just be empty walls. Enjoy your new space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am pea green with envy! I totally understand your excitement over a laundry room. My best friend, Jane; the one that I traveled to the UK with has a laundry room and says it's her favorite room in the house. I would love to get the laundry out of the basement, it's like going down to the dungeon to do laundry. And like you, we have one bathroom really in need; but......you can't tear it apart and live here...so it's been put off more times than I can count. We have the vanity purchased and in the basement....I've lots track how long we've had it. Projects move slow around here.
    Traveling Suitcase

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so enjoyed seeing the transformation into your dream laundry room. It's much like what we had in the house we lived in for such a short time here in Omaha. Lots of shelves for storage which is always good.
    I really like your paint color and havint all of the help from the assistants only made the job go fast. Of that I'm sure! :-) So happy for you my friend. When we wait patiently, (and sometimes not so patiently), God rewards us greatly.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you sure gained a lot of storage space. Can't wait to see the photos of the room when you get those shelves loaded up. Love the pink.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what fun to do laundry in that room! I have the same shelving units. I also have a hanging rod to hang clothing....as I love to hang clothes right out of the dryer:) I also have one of those long handled picker uppers to reach stuff that is in the back of the shelves...or to knock a roll of paper towels down. Best of luck with your bathroom project!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! So many changes...I love the laundry room re do...My washer and dryer are in a closet in our Powder Room...I always wanted a separate Laundry room so I could decorate it in a vintage laundry theme with wash boards and old irons and ironing boards...As for space for storage, I had my Dad put in my Pantry closet when he converted our patio into the Den 40+ years ago...One of the best things I ever did!! And we do have shelves above and on the sides of the closet that the washer and dryer is in...I keep one of those folding step stools in there so I can easily reach all the things that Joe stores in there...The pantry closet and the washer and dryer one is Joe's domain as he does al the grocery shopping so he puts his treasures how he wants them and God Forbid any of us rearrange it...My storage Room is my domain and I just went thru and arranged it all as I have been using things up that I have in there...I think that it will even be Monday's Blog Post....I hope you have a great Labor Day weekend!!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome laundry room! So much storage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your laundry room looks awesome! I really like the cupcake pink color! I love that it has so much shelving, too. That seems like a perfect place for things like beach towels and roasters that aren't used all that often. I've always wanted a laundry room, too. Maybe I'll get one in another 30 years like you did. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks once again for all your visits and kind words...I spent this whole week changing the Living Room over to Fall and should finish up tomorrow...I have to do the front of the house for Fall but this week was too hot and they were paving our Court which was a mess....Hopefully, I will get it done this week and start the Dining Room for Halloween! Have a great weekend!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry