Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Humidity and Neglect


(along the picket fence)

In 1995 my brother and sister in-law took their two young children to a soccer game. My brother turned to take their 5 year old to the playground and my sister in-law collapsed. Despite the efforts of a fellow parent who was a doctor, the EMS, the ER and everyone else, she had died instantly. We later found out she had been born with heart defect which caused sudden cardiac arrest. 

(This is by my front door.)

My brother eventually sold their house, moved to another town, in a few years, married a girl he dated in high school and moved out of state. When he was getting ready to sell the house, my mom and I went and dug up some of the Rose o Sharon bushes that Peggy had planted. I am so glad we did this because whenever anyone remarks about them, I tell them about Peggy. 


(These are behind my shed, facing my neighbors.)

This year they not only survived an invasion of Japanese Beetles who ate the first round of blossoms but replenished themselves with extras! 


(This bush is only two years old - located in the play yard, he put a tomato cage around it last year)

I do nothing to these bushes except cut them back in the fall and pull out some starts. I don't water or fertilize and I barely weed around them.

Only a year ago my husband moved some starts to the side yard where we tried for years to establish a hedge. Unfortunately the elementary bus line was along the sidewalk and baby bushes would get trampled. Last year the bus switched direction and picks up on the opposite side of the street. He did fertilize these in the early spring and early summer and I was shocked they flowered too! 


(The new bushes along the former bus line)

These bushes thrive on the hot temperatures, high humidity and neglect of the Summer of 2024. 

10 comments:

  1. I had rose of sharon at my first house, all started from plants from my parent's yard. Dad always said they were easier to grow than weeds, and they were for me. I used them for a hedge, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, what a tragic story. I'm so sorry at the loss of your sister-in-law. Her Rose of Sharon's are thriving in your yard though. I had one at our house in Spokane and it bloomed teh week of the 4th of July every year without fail and kept going until frost. I loved that bush so much. We drove by the house last month when we were in Spokane and they had cut it to the ground or dug it up!!! I literally cried. I thought Dennis was going to cry too when he saw the state of "his" yard. It used to be gorgeous. Not anymore. We've been out of the house 3 years last month and they're trashing it. Extra hard because we had it built and loved that house. We've decided we aren't going to drive by any more when we're in town. It's too painful. Now I can come to your blog and see the beautiful Rose of Sharon whenever I want to!
    Blessings and love,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are beautiful! Such a sad story about Peggy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay...I have always wanted Rose of Sharons. They are so prolific and gorgeous. I think perhaps you have shown me their absolute beauty even with neglect. That is what I love about certain plants.

    What a tragic story but I am so glad you look at these flowers and can think of her.
    That last photo of them...wow... Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your flowers are beautiful and I am amazed at how sturdy and prolific they are. I wonder if they would live and thrive in our area. We do have hot summers but no humidity it's very dry here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous and amazing post! Those flowers resemble Hibiscus, a plant of Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Miss Merry! Thanks for stopping at my blog.
    I love the story behind your Rose of Sharon. They are so pretty.
    We have 5 or 6 of them in our back yard, in 3 colors. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought I'd already commented on this one... but, lately Blogger has been Weird... so, mebbe I just thought I did... or it's gone to Blogger Ether? *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dad had a "fence" along the one side of our yard that was all Rose of Sharons...I took some shoots and had them in our yard but when they redid the front of our yard and created the slope in front, I lost them but my neighbor Elly had a few that she planted in her yard from shoots from mine. Now my neighbor Ed lives there and I took Shoots from the ones Elly planted and I have them growing in a few pots in the back yard...I also planted one down by our mailboxes and it looks great...I hope you are enjoying your week!!
    Hugs,
    Deb
    Debbie-Dabble Blog

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments. Sometimes it takes me a hot minute to authorize comments due to grandchildren commitments. I apologize but I can't let those scammers get the upper hand!

Miss Merry