Monday, April 12, 2021

April 12th

Well, somehow it is April 12th and I am still working on my word for the month. I keep waiting for inspiration, but I have nothing.  

We have had nicer weather than normal. Not too hot, not too cold. Warmer than usual. 

I make breakfast, put two grandchildren on a school bus, play with my "baby" who will somehow be 2 in July and his sister who will leave me for kindergarten in the fall.  My co-grandparent family is dealing with illness but has been up to watching the other three grandchildren the past two weeks. We meet the mother pf the two we have at 4 p.m., come home and have dinner and usually fall asleep in our recliners. 

I have been accumulating more books in my "to read" pile. 

We had a few family members over for Easter. And got tired of leftovers since I can only cook for a very large crowd. 

I have not figured out where or how to start my photo sorting project. I have purchased a boatload of photo cases to put the sorted photographs into so I need to get busy. 

Today I started my Medicare journey. I am six months away and already wish I had started sooner.  I called my pension plan who told me that my insurance did not offer a Medicare supplemental plan. I called my insurance and found out that they do offer a supplemental plan and will send me a booklet with plans and costs. I talked to my neighbor who turned 65 last year and got advice from her. Then I called my best friend who turned 65 last week and actually had appointments with two different Medicare advisors and made spreadsheets and is crossing her fingers she has chosen wisely.  

I found there is a Part A, a Part B, a Part C which everyone tells me is a mistake that will cost me too much for not what i think it will be, a Part D which will increase my prescription costs no matter which plan of the 18 available plans in my county I chose. There used to be a Part F, now there is a Part G and, I just found out a Plan N. However, my insurance company offers a Plan F which will be explained in the booklet they are sending me.  

So far I have come to the conclusion that whatever I chose will be wrong and cost me lots of money. I am ripe for spending too much since I purchased a supplemental to the plan that expires on my 65th birthday (I have no memory of signing up for it or purchasing it) that paid an additional $10,000 of the deductibles, co-pays and remaining percentages when I broke my arm.  

I haven't started my own spreadsheet yet, but I should have enough notes by the weekend to start one. 

Oh, and we got our second vaccine. I did not feel the shot. I did not have any side effects until that evening when every joint in my body ached. We did have a temperature drop of 25 degrees the same evening so I am not sure if it was a side effect. We were also very tired but had been babysitting preschoolers and toddlers for six consecutive days so I am not sure i can blame that on the vaccine either. 


4 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you have your shots and you had no serious side effects! Medicare is confusing...our permanent insurance Tricare for life required that we get Medicare Parts A and B. I know many people who struggle with which coverage to get. What ever you choose make a folder for all the papers you get in the mail, it takes six months or more for them to process Medicare claims...it is all very confusing. You would think we as a progressive nation could come up with a better system...Insurance Companies are a rip off:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here I thought I was busy! We took a similar Medicare journey when Hubby turned 65 last year but since he's still working, we just opted to keep on with the employer benefits instead. He did register for Social Security because I guess it's a big no-no if you don't.
    Your kids and grands sure do keep you busy don't they? It's a blessing though and they will be close to you for a lifetime.
    I'm waiting for the plumber to arrive, the visiting nurse to show up next door and I have a "get-aquainted" doctor visit early afternoon for our new primary care doctor. I have an appt. made with a cardiologist electrophysician for next month for my pacemaker. Moving in a real pain. Trying to coordinate Mom's care with it is an additional responsibility.
    I have to sell a desk that is too small for Dennis to work from and buy him a new one and have it set up when he gets here. I'm tired too!!!
    I'll be praying for you for strength and I'm glad you're fully vaccinated now. It's a relief isn't it?
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Merry,
    I beleive Joe is on Medicare B which is the most popular one and what I remember my Mother being on.His supplement is with AARP who was recommended by patients of mine who had it, several case workers in the hospital where I worked and my neighbor who has her own medical billing business hat she runs out of her house...He does not pay a lot for it especially compared to what I was paying for my Cobra which was $950 a month. Now that I am off that, I thank God for the affordable care act because I now qualify for tax credits for my health care and now with the American Rescue Act, I will get more tax credits which will cut my month payments down to about a third of that !! I can't wait until I can go on Medicare because that will even be cheaper!! Thanks so much for stopping by!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Merry!!
    4 inches of snow!! Yikes!! And yes, I did giggle when you said that Mother Nature lost her mind this year!! LOL!! I do beleive that you are right...Supposed to be 80 here next week!!!Crazy!!
    Thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind comments!! They brighten my days!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry