Thursday, November 4, 2021

November

It certainly feels like November here! Our temperatures dropped, the flowers froze, the skies are gray. November 2 gave us a morning of sunshine and we had some very special photos taken of our youngest two grandsons. 

To go with this memorable pose of our eight oldest grandchildren a few years ago.


Then we popped back in the car and drove to the county fairgrounds where they were holding a drive thru clinic for the vaccine booster. Fortunately I had the time wrong which put us in the front of what turned out to be a 380 car line for the shot! 

The line went from the entrance and looped around the race track and around the barns.


The cracker jack staff and volunteers were working as quickly as possible to process paperwork and keep the line moving. By the time we entered the livestock lot, we had our sleeves rolled up and our arms out the window. 

We babysat for the two and three year old the rest of the afternoon so we really didn't have time to have much of a reaction. As soon as they left, Mr. Merry fell asleep. So we are counting that as "fatigue".  I was staying up way too late, but suddenly got a horrible head ache about 11:30 pm. I had several friends who experienced this so I took some Tylenol and marched myself to bed. And that was the end of it! 

Don't let the line fool you. The vaccination rates are GREAT in my county for the 65 plus crowd. The rest of the population, not so much. Our case numbers are up again, hospital numbers are staying steady. Grrrrr. Tonight I found out that another acquaintance who refused to get vaccinated is in the hospital with Covid pneumonia. It just makes me so angry when people are so seriously ill and it is preventable! 

My neighbors are talking about planning a vacation at Christmas time to a "Christmas Inn". I am insanely jealous, especially since I have been watching those Hallmark movies already. And because my husband, who has now had three Covid vaccines is still never planning to ever leave the house again.  After much whining a light bulb finally went off.  I have begun Project Hallmark Christmas Bedroom! 

I must have had a premonition because I purchased an adorable Christmas quilt on clearance last year.  I may have run to a nearby city to pick up some "door buster" specials at Joann Fabrics. And today I found my centerpiece. 

I had decided that the bedroom needs it's own tree. My first thought was a 7' flocked and prelit pencil tree.  We won't go into the prices I was seeing. Then I went on a bargain hunt. My husband was very concerned about the search, especially since we really don't have room for a tree in the bedroom. 

For some reason I was looking at the Dollar General ad online. I am sure I was searching prices for my husband's addiction (Sprite).  They have Christmas trees? For really cheap prices? After much study, I decided it had to be a 4' flocked prelit tree that would fit on my nightstand.  Then the hunt began. 

There is a Dollar General in the small village between our house and my daughter's house. We drive by every day and take her kids home. I have been stopping every few days to see if they have them in yet. The manager told me she got a truckload of new fall stuff, but no Christmas yet. She had talked to a manager in another village near us and she got no deliveries at all. The Dollar General in our town had not received any Christmas until this week. On Monday they had some random items and ONE 6' non-flocked prelit tree for $40.  Not what I wanted, but would it be all I could get? 

Today we went to a larger city to buy Sprite on sale at their Krogers. And Krogers is located in a plaza with a Dollar General. I stopped in AND, there was my 4' flocked prelit tree for only $20!!! They only had four of this tree and no other trees, so I grabbed it and ran! So exciting and my husband is so excited that we aren't going to be stalking the Dollar General stores anymore. 



6 comments:

  1. Your grandkids are so cute! I loved the old and new pickup pictures!I apologized to you on my blog... I accidentally hit delete instead of publish on my phone... I hate having to moderate comments! So it wouldn't let me publish. I copy pasted it though so it got on there! I want to see pictures of that Hallmark Inn bedroom! Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore the photos of you and your grands by the red truck. It's perfect. And the pumpkins in the back! You are so artistic.
    I'm glad you have the vaccine booster too. I'm relieved to have it although I did have a slight fever, headache and fatigue starting about 12 hours afterwards for about 12 hours. All in all, not bad to reduce the risk of actually getting covid.
    I smiled all the way through reading about your search for the tree. I would love to go to an inn, but I would settle for a camping trailer decorated and hidden away somewhere warm. I'm excited about decorating for Christmas but first we'll have 20 people here for Thanksgiving. I'm really looking forward to that. My new DIL and son will also be here from London. Yay! Christmas will be much quieter but that's probably a good thing because the bathroom remodels will begin the Monday after Thanksgiving. I'm sure it will be a mess.
    I hope you have a great Friday.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photos with the red truck, your grandies, and the pumpkins, are priceless1

    ReplyDelete
  4. We also got frost for the first time, just the other night. Still, I refuse to even think about Christmas until after Thanksgiving. (But I know about the supply-chain issues; I hope that doesn't mean no presents this year!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make me smile...stalking the Dollar General stores! My husband feels the same way, he is okay with never leaving except on trail rides! Those he enjoys. Anything with people ...not so much. A Hallmark Movie bedroom...sounds romantic! Those two boys are just adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL!! Now you have spiked my curiosity about a 4 ft. flocked tree at Dollar General!! There is one 5 minutes down the road!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry