Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Enough About Me, How is the Doll House Doing?


Thanks for listening and for the suggestions on my bone health. Just a quick paragraph. At age 59, before my husband retired and we had to self pay a reduced benefit policy, I went for every test possible. My bone scan was fine. The information about dextroscoliosis and degenerative bone spurring in the spine was in the second page of an online chest x-ray report before surgery for my extremely painful spiral fracture a year later and each x-ray is listed separately with separate reports and I did not go through all of them.  When I reached Medicare age, I went for all my testing again and was surprised when she called with the results. (not that she provided any information about the results, just a recommended treatment). The report says I meet the criteria for osteopenia and shows a 15.9% decrease in bone mineral density from L1 to L4, a 15% decrease in bone mineral density of the left femoral neck and a 13.1% decrease in bone mineral density off the right femoral neck "when compared with the prior exam". I do not have a copy of the report from the prior exam. Anyway, I am over it. I am waiting a year and making an appointment with someone else and discussing it with them. In the meantime I have added 2 Oscal 500 plus D tablets to my morning pills and I am ignoring what I think is a radical treatment that was suggested.


I did get Santa and all my elves to bed for the year. While going through some of the miscellaneous boxes I re-found four little dolls that I think belonged to my mother. I placed them downstairs in the dollhouse for safe keeping. My youngest granddaughter is very upset about this. 


She thinks the bigger dolls are out of place. And she is especially concerned about what Santa will think about this when he wakes up. 


I tried to do a little research on the littlest dolls. The bald doll is listed on Ebay a few places as a "Russian Peasant Doll". Mine is not exactly the same as the others. My clothing, which I am sure is original, seems to be sewn better than the other examples, but the face, legs, feet and tiny hands are identical. And mine is missing a wig and a head covering. 

The doll in the felt dress seems kind of 1920's to me. She is stamped "Made in Japan" on her back. I see similar examples to mine - most with curly blonde molded hair in the back; mine has a dark bob. And the dress on my doll seems unique, though period. Her straight arms and legs are jointed with crude wires which is how the similar ones I saw on Ebay were made. They were marked "vintage" and did not give an age.

The baby doll in the front is plastic and the one in the back of the room is a Madam Alexander Baby Dionne Quintuplet. I do know those were my mother's dolls and I remember that she and my grandmother let me play with all five when I was too young to appreciate them. I would change their clothes and I think that I do have one more sun suit somewhere. As the threading in the limbs came loose, I am pretty sure the other sisters got thrown away. Oh, what we didn't know then.  

I bought this Christmas refrigerator ornament on clearance at our local Hallmark store maybe in the late 80's or early 90's? I had no idea there was a matching Hallmark Christmas stove until my neighbor shared she had found one. Well, the cost is now about ten times what they cost new, but I decided that was what my husband needed to get me for Christmas this year and I am absolutely in love with it. 


It is very difficult to take any interior photos in the house's new location. Fortunately I have found a doll house store within a road trip away and I think I am adding some kind of lighting to the rehab project. 

15 comments:

  1. I love that you put Santa and the Elves to bed until next Christmas. So sweet. I enjoyed seeing the dollhouse and the old dolls. I have my grandmothers doll from the late 1880's or 90's. None of my kids like it as they say it is spooky. I love her. I worry about what will happend to her when I'm dead. I would like her to stay in the family. She is still dressed in her original clothes!
    I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday. It's supposed to be in the mid 70's tomorrow and we're going to pick up a new camper for our friends who don't have a two vehicle yet. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post about the old dolls! LOVE your collection and dollhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dolls are so interesting and the fridge , stove and sink are just perfect! Good idea taking the Oscal plus D :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having osteopenia is pre osteoporosis, so I wonder why they would want a medication intervention rather than a good choice of what you are doing? You are a smart woman!
    :)
    The dollhouse is awesome. I love that you put the elves in bed, but they look ready to leap out at any moment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your dollhouse! Somehow, I never knew about all of these adorable, miniature Hallmark ornaments. Have you seen the little Fisher-Price toy ornaments? I think all of the Hallmark stores in my area have closed, but I need to do a little research and see if there are any left.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Val above is right osteopenia is pre-cursor to osteo-arthritis, but meds along with
    Vit D can work wonders. My husband was diagnosed with it many years ago, probably due to a very bad fall. He took Fosamax (which was about the only med available at the time) and Vit D, as you need the Vit D to bind the irons. He no longer needs the meds. The L3 and so forth is so common as we age; though I am older than you, 71 currently. Being active really helps. I was such a tomboy growing up, much to my mother's chagrin, I never played with dolls; but you vintage doll house is adorable. How nice you have the memories with your mothers dolls. Had to laugh at Maxine. Spotted you a mutual friends blog, and really liked your comments about the current state of affairs with Biden and Putin and Ukraine. Figured we had things in common so thought I'd pop over a visit. It's always fun meeting new bloggers, and a bonus when they are like minded. Then had to laugh once here and realized you and I are using the same blog theme, even the same color! Swing by for a visit.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you are right taking the Calcium and Vit D (and you might drink the milk with the added Vitamin D etc.) Unless you have obvious difficulty or your bone scans show extreme decline, this is what I would do (and do). But again each of us is different and our doctors have different opinions. So all you can do is go with your gut!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Making blog rounds, so popped in to say hello, hope you're doing well.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now you know that I love this sweet doll house...Your mother's dolls are quite a treasure....Looking forward to seeing what you do about the lighting....I have taken calcium with Vit D for well over 10 years now....My husband does too.. I have to make an appointment for a dexa scan. I had one scheduled in December but with the raging co vid numbers, I cancelled it...I hope you had a great weekend!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Making blog rounds and waving hello, hope you're doing well.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for always stopping by!!It has been a crazy week weather wise here...First cold and snow and then warm and rain!!I hope to start a patio project this week so we will see if the weather cooperates....
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the pictures and descriptions of the sweet dollhouse. What a treasure ❤️😊

    ReplyDelete
  13. Making blog rounds and waving hello, hope all is well.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  14. Me again!! Thanks so much for your visits and kind comments!! It is snowing lightly here today but nothing is sticking!! Crazy weather!!
    hope you are enjoying the weekend!!
    hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  15. Me again!! Thanks for dropping by and for your sweet words!! Hope you had a great weekend!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry