Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Antique Gramma - Wedding Dress Wednesday

A neighboring small town has an "historical village" with a large brick mansion and several barns, buildings and even log cabins have also been relocated to the site over the years. They were celebrating their 50th Anniversary and asked on a Facebook post if anyone had antique/vintage wedding dresses they would be willing to lend for a display. 

As the keeper of all family memorabilia, I have a closet of generations of  wedding dresses so I wrote a message describing them all. To my surprise, they were interested in my polyester 70's wedding gown. I shouldn't have been surprised. I know I am an antique. 

I invited my youngest daughter and her children to accompany me to the birthday party. Unfortunately it was a very rainy day and most people were not as willing to brave the elements as my granddaughter. 


And here we are with my antique wedding gown! Lydia asked if, since we were visiting antiques, would there be dinosaurs, too? 


Here are a few others on display. 





We played Birthday Party Games! 

Our favorite discovery was TWO doll houses. This one was created many years ago as a replica of the mansion on site.  This photo features the third floor ballroom which is still available for rental today.  My next post will feature photos from inside the mansion. 


The second dollhouse was a huge masterpiece created as a labor of love by a husband and wife, now in their 90's. They were present to show it off. The rooms were protected by plexiglass panels which made it difficult to photograph and the lighting system was not working. 


An upstairs room had toys we knew better than to touch.  


Then we went outside to play with some vintage toys that we were allowed to touch. 



And there was a food truck! 

One log cabin featured a quilt show, another had a civil war historian who was familiar with my identical twin 1st cousins, 4x removed, who served in the OH 123rd Infantry, one held as a prisoner at Andersonville. There was a petting zoo, a school house, musicians, and a baked good auction where we spent too much money for a worthy cause.  There were many more cabins and buildings we were not able to visit. 

It was quite the afternoon and it is a shame that more people did not attend. 


22 comments:

  1. That sounds like an afternoon that I would have loved. I enjoy visiting historical homes, especially when they are decorted in the time period. The wedding dress display is so pretty and your grandkids were so well behaved in the toy room and with the amazing doll houses.
    Thanks for sharing this day with us. So fun!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much to see and do. The wedding dresses look as though they are fromm the 1800s, except for yours, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat place with so many great exhibits. Those doll houses are a wonder in themselves!

    I suppose the rain put off more visitors that would have come. Does it run through the weekend? I would hope more would see this! I know my step daughter is smitten by all things vintage and antique.

    Thanks for taking me on this tour looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like so much run! Your grandchildren will have great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful that you took your dress! You are an antique!! What a fun day of activities! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The wedding gowns were beautiful including your own...The doll houses are lovely!! What a great time you must have had...Thanks so much for all your visits and lovely comments!! I really appreciate you taking the time to visit....I am glad that I had a mild case of COVID and if other family members didn't test positive, I would have chalked it up to a cold or sinus infection and never went to get tested....Stay safe , healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like it was a great event with much to see and do. Nice that you were able to contribute to the cause in more ways than one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have the cutest lil grandchildren. I love those wedding dresses, they covered more skin then, didn't they? Now much more revealing. I enjoy the civil war exhibits and pretty neat about the Civil war historian knowing about your family members. I would have enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delightful way to spend an afternoon. Beautiful old dresses, they certain paid a lot of attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun day! You're not antique... no way. Vintage? Maybe

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful event! Thank you for sharing all those wonderful pictures. Your grands are so cute! What a pretty wedding dress you had.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for all your visits...I have been so busy between the Living Room and the Kitchen...Glad to hear you are planning on decorating your guest room for Christmas...Our Dollar Tree's are getting Fall things in now and I learned if I do not grab them now, they will be gone and they do not restock..I do love how the "Under the Sea' theme looks like in the Living Room and it goes well with the colors of the room...It did take me about 4 days to clean the Living Room ad re-decorate it after I took down the Patriotic decorations...Glad to hear you are going to decorate your front porch for Fall...I love Fall and love decorating for it......But I do wait until after Labor Day to start....It is awfully hot here so I am really looking forward to Fall! Hope it is cooler where you live!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like it was a wonderful day. Beautiful dresses. Your grands are adorable. It's a shame people didn't go. Was it not well advertised? I love all things historical so am glad you got to enjoy yourself there.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  14. Me again!! Thanks so much for always stopping by! I look forward to your comments!! we just got over 90+ degree heat wave that lasted 6 days!!! With dew points in the mid 70's which is considered rain forest tropical!!! When did NEPA become tropical is what i want to know???I walk outside and i am dripping wet with sweat! I can not wait for Fall to come....This Summer has been pretty horrific when it comes to heat and no rain.....Stay cool, my friend!!
    Hugs,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty sure I left a message here on my last visit or possibly the previous one given the date of the post; but don't see any comments. Love the dresses and it seems you the kiddo's had a good time. Glad they enjoyed the day with you.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  16. Am I hallucinating or did you delete a post or two?? Maybe, I am wrong... Thanks so much for stopping by!! I laughed at your reason for staying together....I do enjoy your humor....We finally got some much needed rain...I am so tired of watering...Looking forward to Fall...It can not come fast enough....Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  17. Me again!! Just stopping by to Thank you for all your visits and comments...I will be posting 3 times a week now on Tues., Thurs. and Sat....Shorter posts may work out easier for me...We will see...Glad that you got to do some Fall decorating....I will be posting my front porch tomorrow...Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've stopped by so many times when making my blog rounds to wave, but for some reason none of my comments are here. Hope you're doing well.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  19. Me again!! Just stopping by to thank you for visiting again!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks once again for stopping by and for all your kind comments!!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  21. What beautiful & clean historic House. Very nice arrangements all things. Wonderful your wedding dress took there. You grands are adorable. It's shame people didn't go. What fun day activities. All photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry