Sunday, July 10, 2022

Church Festival

My small country parish has a summer festival ALMOST every year on the second Sunday in July. We skipped the festival for the first time in decades in 2020, due to the pandemic. In 2021, since we were having a surge in cases in our county, the festival was changed to a drive-thru chicken bbq with opportunities to purchase raffle tickets through your car window as you circled the building. 

This year the decision was made to hold the festival complete with children's games, a softball tournament, raffles, bingo, games of chance (including a "hog drop"), concession stands, and more on a few acres surrounding our church. We serve ham and chicken dinners complete with mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans with bacon, roll and butter, and a slice of homemade pie. If you eat in our air conditioned dining hall, we serve coffee, iced water and lemonade. You can get carry out to take your dinner home or to eat in our open air rebuilt barn from the 1800's which is roped off as a "beer tent" that overlooks the softball field. 

I got busy baking pies. I ended up with 6 apple, 5 cherry and 6 pumpkin. 

Our county is low in vaccination rate and common sense. This made my husband very concerned and me somewhat concerned.  My husband was the head of the "dishwashing" committee and usually works 7-8 hours in the kitchen. He resigned.  I am in charge of dinner ticket sales. I contacted my shift workers and my first two shifts had no problem working. My third shift had a grandchild who ended up being born yesterday so that left two shifts for me to cover by myself.

Next cupcakes for the cakewalks. 


I decided to go forward with my masks and hand sanitizers and worked on comebacks when being told how silly I was being, sitting in a hallway crammed full of people who lean into tell me how many dinner tickets they require. 


Pardon the lighting at 11:45 p.m.  Next year, bake cupcakes first so that they can cool. Then frost while pies are baking. 

I dropped off my baking early in the morning. I returned about an hour before my first shift so I could peruse the silent auction.  And learned the meals had sold out 4 1/2 hours early.  I did help wash the rest of the roasters and mop countertops in the kitchen.  But I did not have to engage with the public at all. All my worrying for nothing. 

Financially I am not sure how the festival did. Many people arrived for dinner and, when they found we were out, just left. We did have several food stands, but it wasn't what they were looking for.  And that meant they weren't spending money at games either.  I guess time will tell. 


9 comments:

  1. Bless you for making so many pies and cupcakes. That's a LOT of hard work and I'm sure it was very appreciated. I'm sorry that people didn't stay after they learned the dinners were gone. I wonder if they realized there were other options and other games, etc.
    The numbers of cases are going up here too and also in Spokane. It's a worry because we're supposed to be there soon. We know MANY people in both places who are sick right now for the first time with the C-virus. Our son & DIL in London, along with her sister & husband and their Mom and Dad also have it right now again. This is our kids third time having it. Also at least twice for the others, maybe more, I'm not sure. That's a worry because of the damage they're finding to bodily systems, ie, heart, liver, kidneys, the more times you have it. Also the long term covid is scary.
    I don't understand that people aren't concerned at all. I think we may start doing grocery pickup again. I'm tired of always worrying about getting this stuff.
    Take care my dear friend. May God bless your family and keep them all safe.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Covid is on the increase here but with a high rate of vaccinations it doesn't appear to be too serious for the majority of sufferers. However I don't think you can be too careful. Wearing a mask and sanatising in crowded places makes perfect sense. Well done with all that baking. I'm not surprised the dinners sold out so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I am blown away by your baking abilities. [Says someone who burns all she bakes!] That is pretty incredible.
    I still am wary of large gatherings in closed areas too.
    We've turned down large gatherings in our area for this reason.

    I am surprised though at the amount of folks who are wearing masks at the stores.

    Sounds like your church has a wonderful event. I hope it raised money!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a success if they were sold out early! Your pies look great!! Lots of virus around here too...we only go to outside things except I go to the grocery store and my husband to the Infusion Center and this week to the Dentist. My brother had the new strain and was very ill untill he got the antiviral med.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those summer festivals. You can't move any of the activities outside to reduce possible Covid exposure? Anyway, those cupcakes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like way too much work for one person. All that baking and you were expected to work the festival. WOW! I understand your husbands concern since your county is low on vaccinations. I just do not understand people's relunctance to listen to trained experts instead of whack job anti vaxxers for their medical care. I hope the festival did better than you're currently thinking so all your work won't be for naught. Your pies look wonderful and so do the cupcakes, though I am a pie over cake person any day of the week

    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's the pies! Love'm. You are as busy as a bee, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miss Merry,
    I can not believe that you did all that baking!! Amazing!! Good for you that you were able to avoid the general public ....We are all doing well after all contracting COVID....I still can not believe I got it as I never leave the house but this BA5 strain of omicron is very highly contagious....Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment!! I truly appreciate it...
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was having trouble signing in to google so I could comment but it finally worked...Once again, thanks so much for taking the time to stop by and for your kind comments...
    Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry