Saturday, September 23, 2023

It's the First Day of Fall

It is the First Day of Fall and I am ready for summer to be over. We had a humid and hot few months which waivered between draught and flooding.  Now we are under attack from legions of mosquitos, day and night. Some communities have added extra spraying. Our town doesn't believe in spraying at all so it is hard to make it from my house to my car without being bitten. I'm one of those who swells up like I have been afflicted with tumors. 


(My favorite artist and author, Susan Branch.)

In honor of Fall, I went to Big Lots and bought mini Santa mugs. Billed as "expresso" cups, the miniature Santa mugs were on sale for 20% off and I thought they would be perfect for a Hot Cocoa Tasting Party with different flavors to try.  I have 10 grandchildren and my local store had six four-packs of the mugs. I think that comes out to 2 1/2 mugs per child, but I don't think they will all be here at the same time.

I was looking around for little ceramic trays for the cups, but have thought the better of it and will keep my eye out for a little rectangular appetizer plates, hopefully in paper.  I could write the flavors on the plates while they are tasting. I might need to invest in a third carafe to make sure the hot cocoas stay warm. Can you tell I am a little excited about this? I believe I will pair the tasting with some cookie decorating too.   

Nothing like rushing the season! 

13 comments:

  1. You will make great memories for your grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun! I really like those Santa mugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Miss Merry! After more than three years of having only two of the thirteen GRANDS visit, and one only for one day, I'm just delighted to see your joy and anticipation in the preparations for that fabulous Cocoa Tasting Party! Your ideas and plans are just so wonderfully thought-out and clever, and your magical enthusiasm is like having Mary Poppins for a Grandmother.

    I long so much for those long-ago days, when we were so many at table, and all that good cookin' and so many tables of paper and paint and beads and puzzles and cookie-cutters---it's been a slow, quiet time ever since the first hint of Stay Home and Don't Visit were breathed into our wonderful family festivities. I hope for you endless days of this joy you're providing, boundless energy and ideas and WANT-TO, and all the love and enjoyment and pride that a crowd of loving, eager chillun can heap upon you. I'm smiling so BIGGG!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You come up with the BEST ideas! How fun that will be for your grandchildren AND you too.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first day of fall in the Dallas area as 101 degrees, so I'm still not in a fall mood although Dollar Tree has moved all the Halloween stuff to the back of the store so that they can put out Christmas stuff. Turns out that on a 101 degree day, Pumpkin Spice coffee creamer is just so blah. Sorry to hear about your mosquito invasion! Will be glad when this summer weather is over.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cocoa tasting, that is a great idea. We have a big lots not too far but never any deals to speak of and the prices are not good. I have some that I have had for years like the ones you show and they came from a drug store like CVS, but don't remember which one. A few had candles in them. I would love to find more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to say that you must have gotten our mosquitoes. We didn't have any to speak of this year. Last year we sprayed, but not this year. The moles and voles this year were way worse. holes all over our yard. Next year if I see this, I am calling yard guy or someone to get rid of them. They tore up just about all my plants near the lamp post and anywhere else they could find.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The hot cocoa tasting party sounds like such a fun idea and the little mugs are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You amaze me again with all the clever things you do! Those mugs are very cool! I love them! I'd even taste cocoa with your kids for a chance to use that mug! Cute.
    Rushing Christmas? Well a little! I purchased a Lego set for the Christmas Village to make during November already...so yeah that's great!

    We had no rain here all summer and are getting it now. Uffdah on your skeeters. I'm not sure the stuff they spray is very good to breath though?
    Love Susan Branch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought the same Santa cups at Big Lot's on Clearance last year...I saw they hd them again this year...Can't wait to see how you do you cabinet of Curiosities...I have so much fun putting mine together!!! I read somewhere that mosquitoes loves 0 neg. people. Must be true because they just love me and I am O negative! Again, Thanks so much for stopping by!! I hope you have a great week!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank God that your blog is one I can comment on!! I am having a terrible time trying to comment on some blogs that has this comment format! I have no idea why but it is really annoying...Thanks again for stopping by and I am so looking forward to seeing your cabinet of Curiosities!! Glad that I was able to provide a bit of inspiration for you to create one!!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those mugs are so cute and glad to see they have a dark skinned Santa too! It's about time! I too love Susan Branch and I need to get out her Fall book! You are quite the entertainer. Your family if so fortunate to have you making so many wonderful memories for them all. Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry