Thursday, October 5, 2023

It's My Cabinet of Curiosities!

Many moons ago I was the girl scout leader, the 4H advisor and the Sunday School Teacher. And the mom of five and the party planner of the neighborhood. Halloween was always a fun time.  I used to have fun houses in my garage before trick or treat, and after I was promoted from first grade to the confirmation class, my middle schoolers and I would do a "barely scary" haunted house for our church little ones following a costume contest. 

Thanks to the inspiration from my friend decorator extraordinaire Debbie-Dabble who blogs at  (I'm sorry, it won't link so I guess you will have to cut and paste.) I created my own curiosity cabinet. 

https://debbie-dabbleblog.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2023-09-29T10:42:00-04:00&max-results=7&start=2&by-date=false  

Even though it was a last minute project, the grands love it and I already have some better ideas for next year!  I had disposed of most of my barely scary items, but Dollar Tree and Dollar General had some perfect supplies for less than $3! 

I will share some close up of the shelves. 


Dollar Tree still had one of the inspiration signs for the top remaining in stock!


Next year I will start by clearing the shelves instead of shoving to the back, LOL. 


I have been finding more Halloween items as I go through boxes so some of these shelves are scarier already. This hand used to move on it's on in the olden days, now it is just "curious" to see. And the skull is resting on it's "microphone" and the kids used to be able to have him "talk". 


I bought the beaker at Hallmark at least 10 years ago, the cat is a bank filled with dimes that used to sit on my Great Aunt Betty's vanity. We use the plastic goblets for juice in the morning. 


I created the scary jar by adding cooking oil to water but did not get the effect I wanted after making it "too purple" with food coloring in a pickle jar.  I was not disappointed enough to waste more cooking oil. 

Thank you again Debbie for the fantastic idea! The kids all spotted it the minute they entered the room and it is just enough that the four years olds are not afraid.  I will take some more of her advice and see what might be available after Halloween at sale prices. 

Now I am off to supervise my three oldest grandchildren - TEENAGERS - for 10 days while their parents travel to an island.  I am a little intimidated as I know they are smarter than I am, but mostly because they live in a big city and I am terrified to drive there. Wish me luck! 


12 comments:

  1. What a fantastic Grandma you are. Not only for your decorating skills, but being willing to take on three teenagers alone. In a big city nonetheless. Have a lovely time my friend.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the title 'Cabinet of Curiosities' but I was thinking of something entirely different when it popped up in my side bar. I'm not big on Halloween or scary things but your cabinet is sure arranged artfully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a bunch of cool scary stuff! Have fun with the teens!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love all of it! You are inspiring me! I do love decorating for Halloween even though no one but myself gets to see it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your skills are awesome! Love the idea of that cabinet. LOL. I don't have that much room in the house, but I've picked up a few fun items this year too.
    This is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun displays. I can tell you had fun putting it all together. To make a link, try this: , again without adding spaces you then add the words you want it to say...in your case Debbie Dable, and again without spaces you finish it with . That will make it a live link for you. It's what I do on every blog like yours that doesn't have name and url an option.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  7. I blogged about how to make the link awhile back. Here's the link to that blog post where you can see a photo of the code that might help you as well.
    Picture of the code in this post

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is such a charming idea and I frankly didn't even notice the stuff in the background until it was pointed out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting and sounds neat to have a fun house in garage. How did you put that together? Would love to see pictures. Love the curiosities cabinet. little children love seeing what they can find in these. I know how ya feel when driving to congested areas of traffic. We picked up our car near Washington D.C. Traffic was thick. Have a good time with the teenagers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG!!! I LOVE it!! Sorry I have not been by sooner so I did not see this earlier and thanks so much for the shout out!!! Now I have gotten a few ideas from you for next year!! Glad that I gave you a bit of inspiration!!! I am sure your Grand kids love it!! And I hope you had fun creating it like I did with mine!!! Thanks so much for all your visits and always for your kind and encouraging words....
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry