Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Spooky Supper

I have no idea when I started serving Spooky Supper.  My Facebook memories tell me that it was before Facebook.  My goddaughter used the idea when her family moved to a remote farm twelve years ago and had no where to take her young daughters to trick or treat. So, it has been a while.  It takes a lot of planning and a lot of work (especially yesterday when we had three young children underfoot all day) but my grandkids all look forward to it! 

I will share some dishes from last night: 


This severed chicken hand doesn't look too bad, but I used to make them from the marinated chicken breasts from our local butcher. Now the breasts he sells are trimmed into a filet type shape (instead of the large raggedy natural ones) and they were out of marinated when I was there so I threw some bbq sauce on them.   I think this is our last year of chicken hands. 


First year for this Kraft Mac & Cheese dish I saw on Facebook. It was a hit, but I am not sure why it looks so dry in the photo. The kids loved it.

There were two meatloaf feet complete with toe nails.  The kids were leery but this was a hit with the dads. Behind are cobweb stuffed eggs. 


Ham and Cheese mummy calzones and hot dog fingers.  No one really ate either at the supper, but the calzone was popular at lunch today, as were the hot dogs cut up for preschoolers. 



Moldy potatoes. This was just cheesy (funeral) potatoes made with Potato's O'Brien instead of shredded potatoes and topped with frozen purple cauliflower.  Again, a big hit with adults, children not so much. 


Jack-o-lantern mini pizzas. I ended up adding more cheese and pepperoni shapes after baking since they blended in the oven. 


All those entrees and the kids preferred peanut butter and jelly cut with my pasty cutter with pretzel legs. 


The crew looking scary. 


This was going to be a spider web dip except I ran out of time.  I was also going to do a monster fruit tray and a Hocus Pocus vegetable tray and those did not happen either. 


For Muffin Tin Monday with my preschoolers we had the favorite Spider Sandwich, with an orange pumpkin and ghost banana. 

Happy Halloween! 

9 comments:

  1. Great and yummy Halloween dinner ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tradition! You are such a good Grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids know what's good. I love the spider sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your that cool Grandma who does so many fun things. Love all of the good stuff you came up with. You have a wonderful imagination and I'm sure the kids all love it.
    Happy November 1!
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neat idea... the spooky supper. My DIL loves Halloween and always puts out a spooky spread. I make bat and pumpkin shaped cookies ... and that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a great tradition along with the coolest foods I've ever seen. I agree, you must be the most Awesome-est Grandma ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG!! How fantastic is this!! I bet the kids just love this!! Looks like so much fun!! Thanks so much for stopping by!! Glad that you were able to grab a few after Halloween buys...Penney's is having pre Black Friday sales on the 3rd to the 5th with 60% off their Christmas North Pole decor...You know where I am going!! It is supposed to get down into the mid 20's here tonight...The seasons are finally changing!! I hope you are having a great week!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. It must have taken you ages to get that spooky meal on the table. A tradition your grandchildren will want continued for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Miss Merry! Listen, I've been sitting here for the last 5 minutes with my mouth hanging open in real surprise- -your Spooky Supper looked wonderful! I love all the foods and color and imagination! It really is amazing, and as you probably know I'm a little partial to Halloween. I need to show this to the ladies at my senior center. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to checking out more of your awesome blog. 🙂

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry