Saturday, November 4, 2023

Nothing Special

 Just another Saturday.  Mr Merry was busy all day with his rakes and leaf blowers loading up the truck for the compost pile. My dead flowers in the hanging baskets made the cut, as did the last of the tomato plants.  

I don't know if I shared the story of the truck, but when he retired he used his work truck for his twice a month, May-Nov, trips to the compost pile. 

One memorable weekend, the truck conked out at the compost pile and had to come home on a flatbed trailer. When unloading it, I took a look UNDER the truck and it looked like rusty lace!  I forbid him to get it fixed again (if that was even possible). Somehow this morphed into a brand new truck, complete with everything his work truck never had, with air conditioning, upholstered seats (do they even make vinyl seats anymore?), automatic transmission, back up camera, dual temperature controls. . .  On a truck that goes to the compost pile twice a month.  I've told myself he worked very hard, mostly outdoors, on the railroad for almost 40 years and he deserves it.  Sometimes I tell myself that. 

So - ignore that paragraph because I just wanted to share the power of a smile. 

I was out foolishly wasting money today and stopped at a store. I was smiling because I was reminding myself how lucky I am that I have the money to foolishly waste on trivial items that make me happy.  A woman older than me was unloading her car and I offered to take her cart back.  She smiled back and we talked for a while and she gave me a big wave and said "Have a Happy Thanksgiving, too". 

This made me smile bigger just as I was passing a tired looking young mom with a baby and toddler in her cart.  She saw my big smile and gave me a big smile back. I swear she walked taller, too.  I let someone pass in front of me and they smiled and waved.  

It really does brighten your own day when you smile at others.  

What trivial items was I buying? I hope they are cute enough to show you, but my plan is to make charcuterie cups for my fellow election workers on Tuesday. I think they will be easy to snack on and other people won't be fingering all the food. Of course I had to have special cups and cute skewers and individual food bags to package each one in addition to special foods and garnishes. The hardest item to find without leaving our small town was individually packaged plain crackers.  Dollar Tree had one package of 6, but I need at least a dozen.  So much more expensive elsewhere, but I guess I am set.  

I also picked up gingerbread houses for the youngest seven grandkids so everyone can have their own at a decorating party. 

Have a good weekend.  I need to dress up in my sequins because I am going to the drive in to see the Taylor Swift concert! And - we are going to drive THE truck because three of us can sit on the front seat. So I guess it was a wise purchase after all. 

6 comments:

  1. Ahhh trucks! I understand men and their trucks. I've been married to one such man for 45 years and I think he's had a truck for 43 of those years. :-) Our current one has all the fancy-schmancy stuff too.
    You're very correct. It's amazing what a smile will do for others. I try very, very hard to be extra nice to retail workers, even if they're rude. I think they have an awful job, dealing with the seemingly angry all of the time these days, mobs of customers.
    I want to be your grandchild and put together a gingerbread house with the others. :-) Fun times!
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nice when a person smiles at you or vice versa...you can smile at them and make their day a bit brighter.

    A new truck! Nice! I'd be thrilled to have one since our old truck died. Hey, it was a new truck in 2002, and it served the mini farm well.
    No real need for two vehicles here now.

    You always think up the coolest things for the kids to do and eat! Best Grandma Ever!

    Ohhhh Sequins! Whoo Hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Smile and the world smiles with you ' as the saying goes. I don't know what a charcuterie is but I'm sure everyone will be delighted with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Miss Merry--great advice about the smile, and I hope you enjoyed that concert movie in your sequins and snazzy new truck! :^)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smile to and from strangers really do brighten that day. Letting people go in front of you does too. Love your truck story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Men and trucks...they seem to go together! Hope you enjoyed your time out!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry