Sunday, July 26, 2026

And More Pickles

 

The vacation recap starts next, but you all guessed correctly, pickles came first.  I have been experimenting with different recipes and I have found our favorite.  I am printing it and taping it to the inside of my cupboard door so I don't lose it. And I am sharing it here for you.

It is a very easy recipe to do what I call "pickle math". I slice my cucumbers (however many Farmer Merry brings in) and put them in 4 cup measuring cups to see how much we need to multiply ingredients to make pickles. 

https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/side/other-side-dish/bread-butter-fridge-pickles-small-batch.html?fbclid=IwY2xjawTTM-tleHRuA2FlbQIxMABicmlkETFOTEhLd1ltbjR1TlNlcDFlc3J0YwZhcHBfaWQQMjIyMDM5MTc4ODIwMDg5MgABHk7anrGleAlisZFcPAjCG4uk9YDz7eGUhrr9oFe9tKIdn-QaWGSBXJ_LQtRJ_aem_sbYqh9R_zIOaC_STaZPNTw

This time I multiplied by four and got 13 pints. It is a recipe with some downtime.  I did let my slices chill overnight instead of an hour and a half. And they were in the large bowl and a smaller one before rinsing and draining.  I swear I am only doing one more batch because I need to make room in the freezer for a quarter beef in early October. 

Our tomatoes did not do well this year and we are eating them as they ripen. Sadly don't need room for freezing my whole tomatoes this year. I am squeezing in as much yellow squash as we get. I like to dice it and fry it like hashbrown potatoes as a side dish. 


3 comments:

  1. Miss Merry, how amazing to have these vegetables for when you need them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love bread and butter pickles and canned some last year but didn't like how they turned out. So, now I wonder about these - do you keep them in the fridge and how long do they last? I may have to make some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I answered on your blog but will answer here too in case anyone one else wonders. I put them all in the freezer to start. I freeze them up to a year if they last that long. Once out of the freezer we usually use up a pint in 1-4 weeks. I keep them refrigerated. I used to can them using the USDA recipe but when my last canner sprung a leak I took it as a sign to move to freezing instead.

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments. Sometimes it takes me a hot minute to authorize comments due to grandchildren commitments. I apologize but I can't let those scammers get the upper hand!

Miss Merry