Friday, February 5, 2021

Well, It's Winter

Two of my five adult children were unemployed at the end of 2020 due to jobs permanently eliminated at their place of business due to the pandemic. My middle son found a position in Mid-January that looked very promising with a high pay rate, great medical insurance and a day shift. it would even allow him to put his children on the school bus before leaving for work. 

Unfortunately the workplace was very dark and damp with poor lighting. The position involved heavy lifting while in an awkward position and his co-workers left some things to be desired. It was not a place he could see himself working for the next thirty years. 

He had put in resumes EVERYWHERE in our community and our local hospital called him during his second week on that job.  He is now working as a maintenance worker at the hospital, days, and loves his new job.  The pay scale is much lower, but the working conditions are so much better.  He had some serious health issues in his late 20's and has some permanent heart damage.  I am resting easier with the new job too. 

Going back to work means that we are now responsible for feeding his second grader and kindergartener breakfast, then meeting the school bus which now stops at my driveway. At least that was the plan.  The boys arrived on Monday and school was cancelled for snow. Then Tuesday, school was cancelled for snow.  The boys did attend school on Wednesday and Thursday, but last night we got several more inches of new snow in a winter weather warning, followed by a winter weather warning for cold temperatures and high winds.  You guessed it - school was first delayed two hours and then cancelled. 

If you are keeping count, this week we had the boys for THREE days all day versus breakfast and bus.  I think I have been hoodwinked by Mother Nature!  I really can't complain. My other mothers are teachers and have been home with their own children so it hasn't been additional children during the day, just different children than usual. 

We are enjoying our Pandemic Pantry and don't plan to leave the house again (except my hubbie and his snow blower) until sometime next week. 

3 comments:

  1. Stay warm and safe! So glad your son found a job that he likes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that you are available to help take care of the grandchildren for your son. I'm sure that really eases his mind. And...how wonderful that he found the new job at the hospital. Sometimes God plans things that way when you make decisions that honor Him. It sounds like the job is perfect even if the pay is a bit lower.
    You sound like me. Even though we don't have snow, I sure don't go anywhere very often! Take care and be safe.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Merry,
    Glad that your son found a job more to his liking...My oldest son is still looking and is waiting to hear from one place and has a second interview with Amazon for It. Thank Goodness he will continue to get his full pay via his severance package until May. It has been 2 weeks now that I have been working at going through everything in my craft Room. I decided I needed to man up and get rid of everything that I know I was not going to use from when I sold crafts. Luckily, I found someone who will use everything I gave up and I am so thrilled that she is thrilled to be getting what I sent to her....Thanks so much for stopping by!! Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry