Monday, February 1, 2021

Word of the Month - February 2021

This month I am choosing my "Word of the Month" at the beginning of the month instead of the end of the month. And in keeping with my theme of stay at home comfort while waiting for the vaccine and salvation for our country - I am picking something that make my heart sing:  "Bedroom". 

Here's the back story. Two nineteen year olds with a baby, we purchased our little "starter" home in January 1979.
As if by magic, we grew to a family of seven in only seven years! It was a pretty tight fit. 

We inherited three floors of memory furniture when my grandmother and great aunt passed away. I couldn't bear to part with the shallow, sticky drawered dressers and saved them all for my children someday. 

The pieces weren't "real" antiques. They were factory pieces from the teens and twenties that I had pretty fond memories of in my grandmother's house. My thought at the time was that my children (who actually would not have those memories) would want them. So we lived with two hope chests, four dressers, a Victorian vanity and a creaky four poster bed that creaked.

Of course my children did not want most of the pieces, so our bedroom was cluttered with wall to wall furniture with clothing piled on top for access. Finally in 2018 I decided it was time to be grownups. 

We contacted an Amish furniture builder and had him build this lovely bedroom set with big drawers and custom measured to fit the room (this is not how it is positioned in the room, I was not home when it was delivered).  

Since it takes over three months over the delivery date they promise (we have played this game before), we were able to completely renovate the room from floor to ceiling. My handy husband replaced the forty year old hollow core doors with lovely solid paneled doors and even built a small bookcase for me behind the door. 

We even had outlets moved to behind nightstands (instead of under the bed) and the television wires put behind the wall. And he painted the room a lovely "Dresden" blue with white enamel accents. The photo below is pre- new carpet. It is the corner I see every morning when I wake up. 

This month I give my gratitude for our bedroom. 

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE all of this---the planning, the preparing, the story-board, the photos, expecially of Progress. And PINK. I'm right there for pink. So it's perfect to me, already. And the PINK sliding door on rods just captivates my heart. PERFECT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading all about your plans for your beautiful bedroom. It was a room designed with intention and from your heart. Do we get to see the finished product? I would love to see a photo of how it all turned out. (You have a beautiful family my friend.)
    Wishing you many blessings and much love.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. So are you going to re do the room? I love the doors but in wood or white not pink! Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The doors look great and I love the color!! Looking forward to seeing the finished project!! Thanks so much for always visiting and for your kind words!!Stay safe, healthy and happy!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry