Thursday, January 11, 2024

Behind the Scenes

I thought it would be fun to share my "shopping process" for the Christmas Getaway (30 minutes from my house).  

I was googling Christmas dresses for chubby grandmothers on Amazon and came upon this one. I was thinking I could sew up the vee neckline and wear it as a tunic top over black slacks. It was the only one left, 80% off and 2-3 sizes too big for me, which I liked because I did not want it to cling. I figured it was worth the 9.99 and ordered it. 

This is what arrived: 


It weighs a ton, and is fully lined. The neckline was cut down past my belly button and the length was past my knees. 


It was also slit up to my belly button and the dress only closed with one tiny button. This was not going to work! 

I did not want to try to sew the heavy sequins on my sewing machine. I actually put on the dress and marked the middle.  I did some folding and arranging and sewed up the middle by hand. I put it on again and decided to raise the shoulder seams by 2-3 inches. Every time I put it on, I would pin higher up the neckline. I think the weight kept pulling it down. 


I decided to use the sash to try to change the shape of what was now a red sequin sack into a more fitted look. 


It worked! Just don't look too close at the stitching. 

And here I am in the dress. I was pretty satisfied with my ten dollar creation! 


I think I could have added a few more stitches at the neckline that night, lol. 





12 comments:

  1. Great job with the stitching. I bought a couple of new cotton dresses for the cruise next week. I didn't spend much on them because when we get home, I have to get serious about losing weight before my doctor sees me this summer. I don't want him disappointed in me. So I didn't want to spend a lot to get clothes. Hopefully I'll be able to adjust them later, like you did.
    Maybe you could stop by and fix them for me? I'm not a very good seamstress.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! I have it marked so I can find it. I love all the posts about what you do for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's incredible! It looks very nice on you. I love the color and the fabric. Just right for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I'm not sure I've commented before but here I am. You did a fantastic job with that dress. $10.00, no one would guess!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you are a master at fixing things right up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great use of your creativity. You completely changed that garment to make it a fabulous Christmas outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of work, but you made it work and for 10.00 if you only wear it once it's a good deal. If you wear it again....bonus time for sure. Well done. I wouldn't have been able to deal with it . I wonder though, what were they thinking with only 1 button and it cut down so low............jeppers.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe how short that dress looked on the hanger and how long it looked on you. I thought you were joking about your search phrase at Amazon but I tried it and it worked!!! Pretty dress, by the wa,y and you can't beat the bargain even though you had to alter it a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hats off to you! You look amazing in it and God love you for doing all that work...I would have sent it back and got my money back....I did get a good chuckle when you said how low and how high it was cut....Thanks again for stopping by!!
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look Marvelous.! Love those boots too. I used to wear boots like that, but probably would fall and break whatever now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry