Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Still Frying Sauerkraut Balls

A quick note of thanks for all the comments on the sauerkraut balls.  I forgot they are kind of a German-Ohio thing. I think our great grandmas were looking for something to disguise yet another leftover dinner from the New Years Day pork roast and sauerkraut and knew deep frying anything carries it an extra day. 

You really can order these in any restaurant from an ice cream stand to a sports bar and even restaurants as an appetizer.  And I hope that no one else did the recipe times 5.  At this point I still have 9 dozen still frozen in my outside freezer. 

My recipe, which is my family's and also in several other families since I see it in church cookbooks, is the cream cheese version. I meant to ask my friend for her family recipe which has sausage, ground up ham, sauerkraut and other items that are not cream cheese, LOL.  

My mother never made sauerkraut balls (her family wasn't German) but she did make "sausage balls" which I can only remember as very dry. 

Anyway.  Last week we had Martin Luther King day -so no school. Then we had snow days on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. This means I had the elementary grandchildren in addition to the preschoolers.  I replenished my cereal, sandwich and snack supplies just in time for today which was a 2 hour delay for my local elementary bus kids and a day off due to ice for my three further away elementary grandchildren whose mother teaches at a school that did not delay or cancel.  

I am hoping that our schools are open the rest of the week. Fingers Crossed. 

8 comments:

  1. I am still intrigued, and the title here made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of fried sauerkraut balls before. My mom is from OH. I'll have to ask her about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not German here! Minnesota has a large Northern European population and I currently live in one of them, but I didn't grow up in one. So....I never heard of this. That sounds like a lot of youngsters! I don't have grandchildren, only a grand dog, so it seems overwhelming to me! My fingers are crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So it is a regional /family recipe. Interesting. Hope your weather settles down:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 9 dozen! Good job you've got an extra freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can only remember eating sauerkraut once in my life. We don't have a German influence in the foods around my area of the country. Dutch, yes. It's interesting how regional favorite foods still reflect the earlier settlers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miss Merry! Wow, that is a lot of cooking! I have trouble making one batch of cookies and sticking with it.
    You humble me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's a lot of frozen balls to cook. I've never sauerkraut balls, and have never seen them on a menu either. Will have to keep my eyes open so I can try one. My Dad's side of the family was German, but my Grandmother didn't cook that way. My Mom though always made pork and kraut on New Years Day, but that was about it. I never make it, as hubby doesn't like kraut, so I must see about trying it when we're out and about. I'm an Ohioan so am surprised I've not seen this item on a menu. Now, I'm on the hunt for it.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry