Sunday, January 28, 2024

Sunday Funday

I finished frying the sauerkraut balls. I got all the frozen balls out of the freezer and went crazy. Please remind me to never go that crazy increasing a recipe again. I have a bag for my middle son, a bag for my youngest son, a bag for a friend who has been patiently waiting and a bag for my husband and I for later this week. 


They are a lot better fried in oil. Less Healthy I am sure, but much better. I will reheat them in the air fryer. 

My grandchildren had school on Friday! No weather warnings! Monday, however, is a planned two hour delay for teacher meetings.  I do better with a heads up before they are here.  I am planning a snow theme for tomorrow's breakfast.  I am hoping to make some snowman pancakes, snowman cinnamon rolls (from the tube) and we are serving blue polar frost juice. Doesn't that sound delicious?  And of course we will have the regular menu of eggs, sausage and cereals.  


I am hoping I remember to make hot cocoa for the thermos carafe, too.  And I hope I serve enough foods since I think they go to lunch the minute they finally get to school.  I am not a fan of these announced delays either. I am glad they have grandparents who can care for them and make sure they can get to school two hours late. When I was working with small children, I am not sure what I would have done. 

I would say I have 90% of my Christmas decor stowed away until next year.  The remaining 10% are items I keep spotting as I walk through rooms.  I even had the kids wander around in a circle looking to make sure I didn't miss anything. I guess they are as blind as I am.  There was  an interesting time today when I took all my Christmas dishware and glasses out of my cabinet so I would replace it with pastel dishware and glasses and got distracted and emptied two drawers onto the table, too.  I wondered if I could even catch up to where I started, but I prevailed.  

All the Christmas things are stored in the bottom cupboard (I hope all of it) and all the pastels are behind the glass doors. And it all fit.  I did break one bowl, but I don't think I will miss it. I don't believe it is an heirloom and it isn't the Easter egg colors I have been amassing. I think it was a vintage Goodwill find. It is what it is. 

I have my 100th sinus infection of the season with clogged nose and ears. I think I am on my 99th zpack of drugs which I am sure I am immune to by now. This has been a very long winter for only being January.  In the words of Taylor Swift, It's me, Hi, I'm the problem, It's me.  We messed around and never got our vaccines in time.  We did finally get the covid and the RSV, but it was only 5 days before my grandson was diagnosed with RSV (and who knows how long he had it before the appointment) and it takes two weeks to take effect. That was how we spent Christmas vacation.  We were going to get the flu and pnumonia vaccine that week, but since we were sick, we waited. And I swear we have continued being sick with something every weekend since.  Next year we will be vaccinated against everything in sight by October 1. 

My friend who is battling with breast cancer for the second time was diagnosed this week with Influenza A. It was just days before her chemo and infusion, but due to being vaccinated and approval of Tamiflu from her doctors, she was able to go to her treatment.  Her doctors told her the vaccine meant her case was a mild one (thank goodness). Her son and daughter in law welcomed a new baby girl this week, too, so she is waiting until she is given the all clear to go visit.   

6 comments:

  1. The sauerkraut balls I am sure are much better fried in oil. I probably would eat them all. My husband has had the nagging cold off and on for two months. He's a little better now. He was put on a different med this time and got better. He took an inhaler for a while to keep his lungs clear. he got sick two weeks after flu shot. The Pharmacist said they are a hit or miss when I questioned about the shot as I always do. . So, who knows really. My sister got hers and is still battling whatever it is with the sinus infection etc. Crazy season. I guess after the covid two years we are catching up on the bugs going around. I do take my zinc everday, C, B vitamins. Doc said keep taking them as they are not hurting me thats for sure. Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a lot of things going around this year. Every time I turn around some friend is telling me about their kids or someone else who has something going on. I admire the fact that you keep plugging along and make sure that your grandkids are well cared for.
    Because of my hubby's health I have to avoid as much as I can which basically means it feels like we repeating Covid protocols. But that is how things go.

    You are truly one amazing lady, mom, and grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am dying to taste one of those balls! Someday... well Miss Merry, I sure was sorry to read about your numerous medical issues but I totally get it. And I'm very sorry about your friend. On a happier note, you sure sound like one fun grandma. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't have one Christmas decoration out this year. I think I've lost interest, but then I also don't have grandchildren. I think it makes a difference. We haven't had the RSV vaccine, we also just haven't done it. We are up to date on the rest. I've had more sinus problems this year, too. I blame it on our strange weather. What good luck for your friend to be able to get her treatment while ill. I bet she is anxious to meet the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We try to have all the vaccinations done the first part of October, just a goal. Sorry you have been so sick with recurrent infections. It is wonderful that you take such good care of your Grands:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is awful to have breast cancer. Hope the chemo knocks it out for good. Praying for your friend and also for you, too. Sickness is such a bad thing to endure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry