Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Sauerkraut Balls

We love Sauerkraut Balls. We especially love Sauerkraut Balls on New Year's Eve.  When my kids were little I had come up with a way to make enough for five children and two adults for our celebration even though I always had to work the week between Christmas and New Years. 

This is the recipe that I submitted to our 4-H cookbook. And it is the recipe I still use. 


I would work on each step at night when I was washing the supper dishes. Chilling in between the steps is really important. The recipe is easily doubled or tripled. It is messy to bread them all so I always did a huge batch and frozen some before frying so I wouldn't have to make the mess twice (or three or four times).   

I haven't made them since before 2020. Every year my kids beg me to make them.  This year I told them they could come over the week in between Christmas and New Years and help me.  I bought supplies to make the recipe times five.  Yes, 5 lbs of sausage, a case of sauerkraut, etc.  

Then Mr Merry and I had a really bad respiratory infection the week after Christmas and they did not get made. 

I got tired of tripping over the case of sauerkraut and decided I would make them this week. Sunday I thawed the cream cheese and browned the sausage.  After mixing the recipe, it completely filled a Tupperware fix and mix bowl (just so you can estimate quantity).

Our schools have been cancelled for weather for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Monday I had a house full of children and the recipe remained chilling. Tuesday I began to roll the balls. My ten year old grandson helped for a little bit but it took me HOURS to roll them all. 

I spent all day today breading them. It turned into an endurance test very quickly. I knew if I tried to do half today and half tomorrow, I would never be able to stand and do it tomorrow. I kept estimating when I would be finished. It was almost 2 more hours than I thought.  

Now they are all in more Tupperware waiting to be frozen, fried or packaged for pickup.  I did come up with a science experiment where I tried to use the air fryer. My solution was 7 minutes at 400 degrees.  My middle son took his already and said he sprayed them with cooking oil before cooking and I am going to try that tomorrow.  

I hate to say it, but they are good in the air fryer. But they are GREAT deep fried. So tomorrow I am going to deep fry some for Mr. Merry and I when we watch tv in the evening.

I am also having a stern talk with myself. Between the arthritis in my hands and bone spurs in my back, I cannot stand and roll all those sauerkraut balls. I had a big reality check of Miss Merry in her early 40's vs Miss Merry in her late 60's.  My first thought was never again. But now that I have taken a bunch of meds and am sitting in my chair, maybe the sane choice would be to just make one batch of the recipe. I always overdo!!

I have a funny story and a sad story. 

When I was making the sauerkraut balls, I told my eight year old grandson that a local burger place has sauerkraut balls on the menu at 6 for $15.  He was stunned. He wondered why people would pay that much when they can just ask their Mimi to make them for them! 

Last night was an exciting night on our scanner.  There were reports of a mass shooting at a little country bar, out past us at a crossroads. They have a great fish fry on Fridays and lots of farmers stop there during the day for lunch. Tuesday night was pool league. Evidently a young man had too much of something and got into some arguments. He decided the way to settle it was to shot into the bar.  Two people were seriously wounded and life flight had to come and pick them up. Today's news is better and they are both expected to make it. Unfortunately guns are very prevalent in my state, open carrying is what the cool kids do and in my gun sanctuary county, you can even bring guns into bars. You just aren't supposed to drink if you have one.  I'm pretty sure most of the guys there last night were armed. And yet they took down the gunman with a punch and a whack with a bar stool. 

12 comments:

  1. I know I would not tackle a recipe with so many processes. Hope everyone really appreciates your efforts. I find it difficult to understand why there are not stricter gun controls and life seems so cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Merry, you sure pack a lot in a post! First of all, I've never even heard of sauerkraut balls let alone tasted them---but now I won't rest until I make this recipe! (I think I may "half it' my first try.) Secondly, I'm so sorry to read about the arthritis and back pain, you were on a real mission of love here for your grandson. As for that bar patron with the gun... he got very, very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't even with the whole gun thing. I'm glad they didn't all start shooting, can you imagine? I'm happy to hear they will be ok. Now....sauerkraut. I can't eat it. It's something I didn't grow up with and can't get used to. That said, the recipe looks good. Maybe you can't taste the sauerkraut , like it's front and center? Next time sit at the table. I have started sitting when I have a longer process happening. My back stand take standing too long. It works to sit. Your grandson has a point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand the difficulty with hand arthritis and bone spurs in the back. They are no fun.
    Standing still for a long time is no fun for me either maybe that is why I keep moving! I think I want to pretend I'm still much younger but the aging parts remind me that I am not.

    Hah on your grandson's wondering. Of course those sauerkraut balls would not be as good as yours either! That sort of intense cooking is beyond my abilities. However, I'd buy them, they sound delicious.

    Our state has open carry also and then they wanted to rescind the license for concealed and let anyone do anything. I trained for years on carrying a weapon and still would never feel comfortable with using it around people. You cannot undo a bullet once it is released.

    You sure are busy!
    ...and you have my admiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, I do not like sauerkraut... ever since we made it in biology class. And I've never heard of sauerkraut balls. But DH does like it and I have to admit your recipe look tempting. As for rolling them, I don't have problems with arthritis in my hands, but have recently felt that same feeling of "never again" when things got too much.
    And I'm so sorry about the shooting. I find it hard to believe that people can think 'open carry' is a good thing. As that country song says, "God is great, beer is good, people are crazy."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like sauerkraut as a pickle. I haven't had it any other way. I might try your recipe, but without the sausage. I don't mix meat with dairy. Anyway if it's a long process, I'm out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally love sauerkraut. Mom used to tell of stories of her grandmother making sauerkraut in barrels on porch in Ohio. It's good food. I have never had them made this way. I certainly would enjoy trying them. I love the red apple kraut like I had in Germany too. I am sure those bone spurs must be terribly painful. I can't stand too long in one place now you have me wondering. Too bad about the shooting and glad the ones hurt will recover. The guy punched and taken down probably was so drunk that he didn't know what hit him and the ones doing it knew exactly how to do it. Good for them. I always say I would have a hard time with a gun hurting anyone. I am pretty sure if my children were threatened or me, that way of thinking would change in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miss Merry,
    These sound really good...except for the sauerKraut!! lol!! I can not eat it because of my IBS and no one else here likes it BUT I think I may try this recipe without it!! Thanks so much for stopping by!! Truth be told...we have not seen the twins in person since the day we helped bring them home the first time! Jim is on a month long paternity leave and he missed out a week at home with them when they had to go back in the hospital. He is a very hands on Dad and helping take care of them with danielle by getting up and feeding one while she feeds the other as they are supplementing with formula upon Dr.'s advice. He is changing diapers and doing everything together with her...They waited 5 long years for this and once he goes back to work, they will never have time like this again so we are letting them bond and enjoying this time together....They have the babies on a schedule like I did as I refused help when I had my sons too... Plus I still have sinus issues and Joe has a cough so it is wise we stay away...We will have our time with them later when it also gets warmer and they get older...This is their time to bond as a family and we do not want to interfere with that....I hope you are staying warm!!
    Have a great weekend!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just like plain warmed up sauerkraut! Less work for me that way. When your grands get older I can see them having a day with you to learn how to make them:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks once again for stopping by!! We are finally getting a break with temps. with high's predicted in the 50's by the end of the week!! Crazy weather!! I hope you are staying warm....We are supposed to get a bit of freezing rain tomorrow but changing to rain as the temps. go up...I hope you have a great week!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  11. The whole Gun Thing can so easily get out of control and so many of these tragedies are becoming so commonplace now that Society is almost becoming numb to it having real Solutions that just are not being implemented. The Man is fine with Guns, I'm not, so we've had some deep discussions about possible Solutions that just make sense and not be so polarized nor politicized as the topic currently has become. I'm glad those who were Victimized at the Bar are going to be okay and that Patrons subdued the Gunman successfully. The Man loves Sauerkraut so I bet he'd enjoy those Balls you make, it's an acquired taste I never developed and he's the only one in the Family whose eaten it all his life, so, likely I won't be doing a labor intensive recipe, so I'll just taunt him with your Post. *Giggle* So Cute what your Grandson said, since, well, the Solutions Kiddos have are so Pure and Innocent, yet often hilariously so.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never heard of these!!! They sound good though. I bet they can be done in an air fryer.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments.

Miss Merry