Tuesday, July 28, 2026

49 3/4 Anniversary Trip: Day One, Birthdays

The first day of our anniversary trip started with a tea party with a friend, not the husband. My friend Marilyn was turning 70 and I had asked her what her plans were. She did not have plans to celebrate. My new favorite tearoom just happened to schedule a tea on the very date of her birthday so I made reservations! 


When we arrived we each picked a tea to be brewed in our pots. We chose Apricot Amaretto (decaf) and Cherry Marzipan, which was a green tea. Both were delicious. We later added a pot to share: White Ginger Pear. 


As our tea brewed, our individual tiered trays were delivered to the table.  On the bottom tier we each enjoyed pumpkin bread, two egg salad tea sandwiches on white bread, two cucumber and herb spread tea sandwiches on wheat bread, two turkey, apple and brie tea sandwiches on wheat bread, and a chicken salad croissant.  So delicious but the turkey sandwich was our favorite. 


Our second tier featured a strawberry scone, strawberry dipped cookie, a lemon berry parfait, a strawberry cupcake with a candy pretzel, and a candied pecan brownie bite. 



The top tier featured a mini apple pie (it wasn't mini!), an cherry almond crisp bar and a strawberry cheesecake.  Everything was so delicious! 


She has had a rough year with a bad fall early in the year which resulted in a broken humerus (upper arm). They were unable to do surgery. She lives alone in senior housing and was sent to a nursing home to heal enough to come home to her apartment. This is the bone I broke (I did have surgery) and you are really never 100% after this bone breaks.  



Marilyn and I have been friends since 1974 when we both got jobs in a little factory down the street from where I live now. They hired a group of 18 year olds who had just graduated from high school. She had gotten married right after graduation and we all took turns having bridal showers on our lunch hours that year. 

She was very happy with the tote bag of fun gifts including a bottle of wine in a bag that said "Goes well with turning 70". I also include a special wine glass, a candle, a little makeup bag, a TIARA and a sash in case the birthday girl really wants attention.  This is the fourth friend I have taken to lunch to celebrate and I have one more special birthday luncheon in October. I hope it falls on a tea party date!

After the tea party and all that sugar, I went home to pick up Mr Merry so we could have more sugar! 


I'm not sure where my son and his wife found the banner but I think it was supposed to say Happy Birthday. 


Our fourth grandchild and third grandson turned 14 and invited us to help eat his delicious ice cream cake!  We measured him for his birthday and he is 5'11" and going into the eighth grade. 

After eating more sugar and watching him open gifts, we returned home, put the suitcases in the car and left right away to try to avoid the rain. 


15 comments:

  1. What a wonderful active and busy life you lead! You are so kind to make sure your friend had a good birthday and some beautiful gifts. Huh. That gives me some things to think about. My upbringing never really gave me the background to do sociable things like you do. I wish I had those gifts of graciousness like you have.
    Okay, that is a weird comment from me but I enjoy all of what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gosh, the tea with Marilyn sure was nice, the foods looked delicious! You've certainly been friends a very long time. Your grandson is a handsome young man, what an awesome day you had! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. Your birthday bag for Marilyn was awesome. You're a good friend! ❤️

      Delete
  3. OHHHH, SWEETPEA!! What a splendiferous array of your history to wake to this cloudy, damp morning!! And what a firecracker of a sendoff to your trip and celebration!

    You two gorgeous girls look as if you're standing right under the crepe paper swags and honeycomb bell (disco ball?) at your Senior Prom. And you're about the best PRESS and advertising that Tearoom could get---what a repast for a birthday.

    Those sweet Taller-Every-Day guys who are still eager to tuck their long legs under a table with their Grandparents at their celebrations---those are getting rare, I hear, and we are thankful for every one we have. And all that action, with your luggage at home a gas tank all topped up after a lovely meal and CAKE---that's a wonderful mirror of a Honeymoon Escape, minus the rice.

    Many, many more HAPPY ANNIVERSARIES!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That tea party looks so fun and pretty! The food looks amazing, and the tea flavors sound great. There are a few tea places here, and I really want to do the fancy tea one day.

    Your grandson is tall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun way to celebrate your friends birthday. I know she appreciated it all!
    Happy Birthday to your grandson too. He's a good looking young man.
    Yikes - that rain is something.
    PS - thanks for the pickle info!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my, I'm salivating just looking at the photos. You each get a tier tray? That's a lot! This looks like a wonderful time and your friend looks happy. You are a good friend. Then going to a birthday party, you had one huge sugar high!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, that is so nice of you to make sure your close friends have someone to help them celebrate on their special occasions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos, Miss Merry. Tea with all the trimmings is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miss Merry, your tea room looks wonderful. I love tea rooms! Your anniversary trip started well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, those long time friendships are the best. I walked with one of my oldest friends just last night (Monday). Course when I moved, I left all them behind. Everything looks great and tasty. I bet you had a blast. Thank you for the comment on the blog about my goodlooking grands.....but, those are my great grands....Yep, I am OLD.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can skip dinner now from reading about your tea party! Nice adventure for your good friend. That red-headed grandson is so charming. Skipped the rain, eh? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is lots of food at the tea party hope you took some home! Happy Birthday to your 14 year old Grand!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That gift bag was inspired! I love that you dragged her out to celebrate despite the fact she was not celebrating! You are a force of nature!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so much fun! Oh, that tea. If I find myself headed to Ohio, I'm getting directions on how to get there (maybe we could meet up!). It looks absolutely to die for (probably in more ways than one! But we won't go there.) What a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments. Sometimes it takes me a hot minute to authorize comments due to grandchildren commitments. I apologize but I can't let those scammers get the upper hand!

Miss Merry