Friday, July 17, 2026

How I am Spending my Summer Vacation

 Sept, 2016: For our 40th Anniversary we are leaving for Kentucky in the morning; where the highlight of our trip will be the Loretta Lynn Concert that I spent 4 hours dialing on my cell phone while refreshing my computer screen to get tickets.

And as we drove down to Kentucky, Miss Loretta fell and broke her hip.

We did return in December when this fabulous woman did share her talents while sitting in a chair. It was one of the highlights of my life.


July 2026: I guess that is a theme with us. We are leaving tomorrow on a trip to celebrate our 50th (which isn't until September). Sunday I had booked very nice seats on a train that travels through a scenic part of our state. At 5pm today I got an email that my tickets were cancelled due to the air conditioning in our car breaking and the smoke has made the air quality too bad to use the car. I spent a lot of time online trying to rebook and we now have two seats at a table of four with two strangers. We traded plush seats for what looks like kitchen chairs. I will let you know.

Monday we were going to go to a comedy club who has now shuttered it's doors.

Tuesday I sprung for very good tickets to see John Mellencamp in concert with access to a deck with a bar and, more importantly, private restrooms and even a premier parking pass close to our seats. John has cancelled concerts last night and tonight due to air quality so we are hoping and praying that the smoke dissipated by Tuesday. It will, right?

Meanwhile my husband the gardener has been "harvesting" to give me something to do. The vegetables are shiny because I spend a lot of time scrubbing them. I was able to get a gallon of tomatoes, 2 quarts of diced squash, lots of small bags of pepper strips and diced peppers and 14 cups of sliced cucumbers for pickles that made it to the freezer tonight.


This is for ApacheDug who wanted to see my potato salad. Tonight I made T-bone steaks, sliced tomatoes with herbs and balsamic glaze and the last of the mega recipe of potato salad.

And here is a dinner featuring cucumbers he grew, tomatoes he grew and yellow squash he grew and I think chicken? We seem to eat the first 3 items almost every night with a different protein. 

Here was a few days ago:

And a different batch of pickles:


And my baking last weekend for my church festival. 


The six pumpkin came out great, the two cherry weren't bad and I think the three blueberry looked runny. I could not stay to help at the festival so I warned them that they might be trash and to feel free to talk about me behind my back because I wouldn't be there.

I think I'm caught up.

I want to apologize for any goofiness in the presentation of this post. I dropped my laptop, had to replace my laptop and I am on a learning curve. And my editing icons in blogger are different. I am too old to learn new tricks!

18 comments:

  1. I'm up--insomnia at 1:51 a.m. and walk into this possible NIGHTMARE!!?? Only your mention of Miss Loretty and all those glorious veggies from your FARMBOY'S talented work are really appealing in my droopy state, but the memory of HER, Fresh in her twenties, when my sweet first hubby and I saved up for tickets to a Memphis show---oh, that's a BRIGHT I'll never forget.

    You'll love that she came out in a little long seventies yellow-checked cotton dress, bright in those lights as we sat second-row side-stage---SO CLOSE in a Memphis auditorium. She sang a fast first number, then sat down on a tall stool, and switched the mike wire around her feet. "I'm TAARRRRD, Y'all!" she said. "I done picked and put up twelve quarts of butterbeans 'fore I came down here tonight." My heart just filled my chest for that young-Mama, doing her chores for her family, just before she burst into bloom and a brilliant career. I heard later that she'd made the dress, and wore it several times in her shows. We stayed late, and got in line for greets as little Peggy and Patsy sat on the edge of the stage, signing autographs with their Crayolas. Isn't that a fine memory to dream on?
    Off to a cup of cold milk and a couple of graham crackers. Bon Voyage and Traveling Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--Happy 50th Anniversary Miss Merry! I am keeping everything crossed John Mellencamp doesn't cancel, and sorry about the train. By the way, my heart did a flip when I saw Loretta Lynn up there, how great that you guys got to see her 10 years ago. Your harvest photos look awesome too, and thanks for sharing your potato salad for me! πŸ₯—

    ReplyDelete
  3. No goofiness! Wishing you both a happy anniversary no matter where or how you end up celebrating. How frustrating for you! Your veggies and dinner look great. Hang in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your harvest looks terrific! So does your baking!! And I bet that potato salad was delish, too! Happy, happy, happy anniversary…50 years !! Bestest wishes on your get-away…I hope all will go well and you will have many great stories and photos to remember. Blessings and congratulations, Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has not been your week. I would like to go to a Mellencamp concert, hopefully the air will clear. It has here. For now. Beautiful produce. Mine is just starting but you have a wider variety. Fingers crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uh, maybe you should just book local adventures? Beautiful crops! Happy Anniversary! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are having a real busy vacation...you may need a vacation from your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, Happy 50 th Anniversary, Miss Merry! Hope it's wonderful... where-ever and what-ever you end up doing. And yes, your veggies look great! (Sorry about the laptop...)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary ❤️ 😊
    Your vegetables look gorgeous and tasty πŸ˜‹

    ReplyDelete
  10. You keep yourself pretty darn busy for a and the Doobie Brothers (covid)woman who can't do much!

    We went on a train ride a couple weeks ago. We sat in front of open windows and it was quite pleasant for the first half of the trip. (Then my allergies kicked in and I got motion sick on the second half. However, no cookies were lost.) At a stop, we got off the train to walk around a bit and found out that the poor folks in first class didn't have AC. They paid twice as much for their tickets as we did.

    That is a lot of disappointment packed into one post. Hooray for big girl panties! We have only had two big 'things' canceled. One was a Lou Gramm concert (3 feet of snow fell)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a haul of vegetables. I hope that 50th anniversary trip works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is terrible luck for you! Hopefully nothing else gets cancelled.

    Those harvests are huge!

    All of your baking looks good in the photos! That's a lot for one person to do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on 50 years together!
    Even with the hiccups, your celebrations shine with love, laughter, and resilience.
    Those veggies and pickles look amazing, and your baking is such a gift.
    Here’s to many more joyful milestones! πŸ’›

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many cancellations, must be so frustrating and disappointing! Happy 50th tho', that's a Milestone to Celebrate! Your Harvest is impressive and so is the Food Porn. I do Hope the Trip to Celebrate the 50th is only memorable in the best possible ways my Friend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi dear friend, just stopping by to let you know I am thinking of you. I hope you are having a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on 50 years! We're at 48 in September too. You have sure had some luck with your plans haven't you? Sorry I've been MIA. I've been a bit down, nothing in particular to say and just staying in due to the extreme heat and humidity. Sure makes me miss the Pacific Northwest even more in the summertime. I have been doing water aerobics three mornings with some other ladies here in the condo pool and have enjoyed it immensely. It seems to work well for my back.
    Glad about your great doctor results. I. need to be better about myself.
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those pies look delicious. I hope you have a great trip and enjoy yourselves. Congratulations on 50 years together.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Its always rewarding to step outside & pick your dinner lol congrats on 50 years together,thats is truly a blessing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by to visit! I love your comments and suggestions and read them all. Due to spam, I will now have to approve all comments. Sometimes it takes me a hot minute to authorize comments due to grandchildren commitments. I apologize but I can't let those scammers get the upper hand!

Miss Merry