When I orginially told you my plan for Mimi Camp, Thursday was going to be a day at Lake Erie. We were going to pack a picnic, drive to a beach - play at a playground and then go to a vintage diner for a very expensive and HUGE milkshake.
Some wondered why I said no swimming. The beaches along the lake do not have life guards and do have drop offs. The last time we went swimming at the lake, which was Mimi Camp 2016 maybe?, there was a drowning at the very beach we were the week after our camp. No more swimming at the lake.
Plans change. Overnight one of the campers was involved in an accident with an Ebike. I would like to say that my personal belief is that an Ebike is a motorcyle and I don't think they should be ridden by children. But I am not their parent.
ANYWAY, this changed Day Four into a day of rest. Temperatures were over 100 anyway, Mr Merry keeps the ac at 32 degrees (I think) and we have very good wifi. I decided it was a day without device rules.
I did not pick up anything in my living room until Friday. I did not see the point.
And that was this year's Mimi Camp.



Yikes about the e-bike accident! I hope your camper makes a full recovery! 🤕 Looks like everyone still had a fun day though, and nice seeing Mr. Merry in action. What a week. 🙂
ReplyDeleteWay to change plans on the spot! I'm sorry about the ebike accident. Those road rash injuries can be pretty awful.
ReplyDeleteI'd say it was a successful week of Mimi camp!
I'm glad biker grand was OK. I'm no fan of e-bikes and on your side. But rider Rick hates them even more. As you said, they are basically motorized scooters. They also violate the idea of cycling, which is to pedal and get exercise! Plus, they are dangerous and can be a hazard to walkers or other riders. There are exceptions, of course -- people who physically could not manage a "regular" bicycle for medical reason, but otherwise -- it's a topic you don't want to bring up in our house unless you want to get an earful! I'm just so glad he will be all right in the end. It had to be terribly frightening for you and stressful. But your rest day turned out to be a good one. Well done, my friend. Hats off to you!
ReplyDeleteSounds lovely. It was a rare event that my three grandchildren were ever in the same room with each other. Now they are grown and doing their own things.
ReplyDeleteGoodness, I'm so sorry about the e-bike accident, and glad it wasn't any worse for damaged child. They are the preferred mode of young adult transportation here, but most kids are still on regular bikes, that I see anyway.
ReplyDeleteThose e-bikes are scary. People zip along on them at unbelievably high speeds. They make me nervous when I am driving because at that speed, if they have to swerve or turn in front of you, there is zero reaction time. Kids should not be driving them.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry about the bike accident! Thank goodness it wasn't worse! I enjoyed all your photos, dear friend. Thank you for sharing. I hope you have a good week! I wish you all the best!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry about the mishaps. But look at all those kids! I can’t imagine having so many over. Great fun!
ReplyDeleteGlad he wasn't seriously hurt! The kids seemed happy with their day inside:)
ReplyDeleteOh my! Well, I have been run over by an elderly lady on an e-bike. She ended up with a broken hip, dislocated shoulder, and ... well, it wasn't very nice. I ended up with lots of bruises.
ReplyDeleteI also know some avid bikers who do quite a bit of distance riding ---- they use their bikes mostly instead of cars and they do well and are good experienced riders.
Looks like you were smart with your campers!
Just got caught up on your Mimi Camp days. Wow. Wish we had some of those options around here. I bet you were bushed the next week!
ReplyDeleteThey have recently brought in strict rules around e-bikes and e-scooters here. Not a fan! I am always impressed with what you do with your grandkids for these camps.
ReplyDeleteThey FINALLY made a law in Hawaii that kids must wear a helmet when riding an ebike. I still see teens doing wheelies on the road on ebikes that drive me crazy.
ReplyDeleteDear Miss Merry, this message is only for you. I don't like change, either. I did this so that I don't lose my friends and readers. You are such a wonderful person. 💕
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comment, dear friend, and once you have time to get Feedly and add the blogs that are important to you, you will be glad you did.
I hope you have a great week.
What a scare with the e-bike accident, but glad to hear the CT scan came back clear. It sounds like you still managed to make it a nice final day despite everything, with the birdhouses and card games!
ReplyDeleteGreetz from Sicily!
https://canalsandcitrus.blogspot.com
I really don't think children should be on E bikes either. So glad the CT scan results were clear and all is well. Children will be children and never know what they may decide to do at any time. I was looking at a E trike I guess you call it so I can feel more comfortable riding when we go on outings in town on the trails. I can at least get a boost going up hills.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry the Grandson had that awful accident on the E-Bike, I agree with you, not for Children... nor ATV's, nor Motorcycles, but... many Parents seem to not share that opinion and so I am always hopeful the Children who are riding them remain Safe enuf not to be seriously harmed or killed. At least he was Smiling at the ER, a good Sign. And, the change of Plans seemed to have worked out quite well and they all looked happy and enjoying it, so, it's all Good, Mimi Camp 2026 being a Success. Applause.
ReplyDeleteI do not like E bikes and many areas here are invoking ordinances against them on public streets along with ATV's...Thank goodness he was not hurt more seriously....Thanks so much for all your visits....
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Deb
Debbie-Dabble blog